myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mike Godsey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinpurdy wrote:
Right on. Thats more like it Boggs. There's alot to be desired regarding the rigging area there, but it's whats happening on the water that counts. By the way did you catch Berkeley yesterday?

Berkeley was quite nice yesterday. I launched from the dock and beat upwind to the pier, sailed to the other side to where I was just above PI. It was a fun trip.

And Boggs, PI / MB can be a really fun place to sail, if you like exploring. Sure, it's a crapshoot but such is the case with EBWind. I like to sail up to Brookes Island, where the swell is nicely formed. Then the downwinder back provides lots of slashing. Or duck under the island and ride the flats inside the sandbar at Pt. Potrero Reach. Or on the rare occasions where the NW wind reaches the site, launch from Marina Bay, and you can be at the Berkely Pier in two tacks.

Steve
jrosario

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I am ever disappointed is when Mike is not around. I enjoy the detail myself and appreciate that he provides it as everyone else I know. Sometimes I skim it fast and other times I read every line. Glad we have this guy.
niklasjn2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: To iwindsurf management: don't remove critical postings Reply with quote

To iwindsurf management:

You should not offer a forum for members but then remove postings that are critical. Assuming this is true, you have lost my respect. This forum is part of what I am paying for, and the assumption is that it is uncencored.

From a business perspective, you have to understand that criticism from members can HELP you.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Godsey Reply with quote

Kevin..missed it, sailed Crissy, it was OK.

Steve... I agree when the wind is very Westerly, and the ramps are coming in, the area downwind towards the Pier can be EPIC! big rollers, perfectly spaced, with great off the lip action. Let me know next time its going to go OFF!

Tomorrow is a coastal day, NW, clear and cold. go get it!
waterstart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: I had a posting removed... Reply with quote

I had a posting removed a few weeks ago when I complained about the scensors being off, the forecast being completely wrong and by the time the 7AM was released it was already way off (wouldn't you just see what it blows at that time before you say it blows less than reality?!)

The last sentence of my note was that I had "constructive feedback for I windsurf: you suck!" I guess that's profanity? If it is, we are dealing with very proper windsurfers.

This being said, I wish that Mike would do the forecast for Rio daily since he is the most accurate of the bunch.

What I did not like is that my posting was removed on a weekend after a few hours. That means that someone at Iwindsurf is paid to look at postings every day from morning to evening. Is that a good use of my now $100?

Accuweather and weather.com are better than the forecasters. I take the weather.con foreacast and add 7mph and it works better than any human forecaster. Accuweather is very good overall.

Another problem I have with the forecast is that it is given at 7AM and 11:30 and then 6PM. It should be at 5AM for us to know if we can sail before work, 11:30 for an afternoon break away if we can and 3 or 4PM for the evening. If I need to leave work, I need to leave early enough to still get some sunlight. If I wait for the 6PM, by the time I get to the water it's already almost dark.

Finally, why do sensors go to sleep? Aren't they machines?

I windsurf.com is a joke with all my friends at Rio. Sad but true! So why do I keep it? Because of the real time wind graph...but I am wondering more and more if it is worth $100?
aaron1234

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are a bunch of whiners. If your so unhappy with iwindsurf then by all means cancel your subscription. Your assumption that iwindsurf has a paid moderator for the forums is presumptuous. Take a good look around the windsurfing community and you'll see that there's not much money in it. I'm seeing you guys constantly complaining about down sensors and paying to much for the services offered here. Iwindsurf isn't making money from this site. I doubt that the forecasters are making much for their services either. I see guys complaining about the ads on this site, why? Don't you want to see the windsurfing industry succeed? Look around, shops are closing gear is getting more expensive and it seems to me that as a whole the industry if facing major financial trouble. When iwindsurf is gone who will you complain to? If you can't sail because the forecast isn't issued until 7 am then you are a kook. Do us a favor and go buy something from a shop in your area if there's any left. Look at the advertisers index at the bottom of this page and you'll see that the ads from actual windsurfing sites are dropping off at a rapid pace. Not long ago a person was able to make a living from windsurfing without being a professional sailor, thats becoming impossible in this day and age.
Change your attitude to helpful and positive so we can preserve our sport.

Aaron
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN!
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a GREAT link for decoding "Geek Speak":

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/severewx/glossary.php

--Spennie

P.S. Mike: I feel your pain.
bberlly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Mike Godsey Reply with quote

Mike Godsey wakes up at 4:30 AM each morning to begin analyzing data for his forecasts. He looks at satelite images, wind conditions over the entire region, fog patterns, etc. Mike spends 3 hours each morning to do the best job possible. He lived in the Bay area for most of his life and knows the wind patterns better than anyone else out there. Then Mike begins his update at 10:30. Always on time. He starts his 6:00 PM forecast at 4:00. Not much of a day for the little money he earns. In fact, Mike only does this to help other Windsurfers and Kiters, so they can enjoy their days. Not for the money.

In terms of seeing the trees blow, Mike has video cams and actually sees the trees at the sailing sites.

So, what do we expect from Mike? A normal forecaster predicts temp and rain. We expect Mike to predict the wind within a few knots, the exact time it will start to blow and the direction within a few degrees, not just at one site but many.

What to we give him back in return? We treat him inhumanely. We are cruel and unforgiving. I hope for more from my fellow windsurfers.
tsokat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This service is an absolute bargain at $100 per year, which is about equal these days to the cost of gas for 4 trips to a Bay or Delta site for me. And Mike does the very difficult task of forecasting SAILABLE winds for the various microclimates better than anyone could. I would like to thank you Mike for all of your hard work and knowledge you have imparted over the years. I only wish that Mike could do start doing some forecasts when the early spring coastal winds start cranking in March. Since I live about 2 hours from the coastal sites, I often have to make the commitment before it starts blowing. But even without a forecast from iwindsurf, what I have learned from Mike over the years has helped me figure out whether or not to head to the coast in the early spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: