myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Berkeley "forecast"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Berkeley "forecast" Reply with quote

Low 20's yesterday...har har har. Upper teens today...har har har. You guys crack me up.
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: poor predictions Reply with quote

I wish that more attention were paid to expressing the possibility of error. It's better to stop relying on the predictions and routinely check on the wind. But if you need to plan ahead, look at the predictions. If it is too difficult to say with a high degree of certainty that there will be insufficient wind (20), don't expect to be warned. I relied too much on the confident tone of in the prediction yesterday and missed the great day at Berkeley. I could easily have been checking on the wind and seen it go off. I'm 15 minutes away. Maybe I have finally learned my lesson. Crying or Very sad
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people use the forecasts?

maybe i'm weird, but I watch the sensors. Even if i trusted the forecasting, I wouldn't need a 7am reading. if it trips someone's trigger to tell me about the equatorial latex convecturizing wind channel, then more power to them. I just wait until around 1pm and check the sensors. and now that there are webcams on berkeley, 3rd and sherman, does anyone really need a forecast?

no disrespect to the forecastors, i just don't think its possible to predict wind patterns in the bay area. My prediction? Tomorrow it will be windy either at 3rd, Berkeley, TI or Sherman. If not, then maybe Larkspur. or Rod and Gun, then possibly Tomales and Bodega.
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: List of har har hars Reply with quote

Add June 20, Sherman Island morning prediction to the "--har har har!" list. You just have to get up at 5:30 A.M. and look for yourself. If you rely too much on predictions, you miss too much good wind. Wouldn't it be nice if someone could tell you ahead of time?
jo_and_mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:
now that there are webcams on berkeley, 3rd and sherman

Where do I find the webcams? Got an URL?

Have to agree - I've missed many good days relying on a launch specific forecast, but the forecast does seem to give you an overall picture for the bay. Email alerts and watching the sensors.

cheers

MB

BTW - did this start off with a different sherman island than the one in the bay? just noting it's in the SW/mexico section, and i've seen this happen a couple of times previously. Is there another sherman island in TX?
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some useful webcams fellow webandwindsurfers...

3rd = http://www.poulton.net/windsurf/3rdcam/3rdcamh.shtml
berk = http://www.berkeleycam.net/
rio = http://rvwa.org/webcam.htm

btw, i don't have anything against the forecasters attempting to predict wind. Its actually probably fun looking at all the graphs and charts and trying to figure it out, humans love puzzles. I only think placing any emphasis on the predictions is faulty logic. Think of the predictions as suggestions, sort of like the sail sizes people claim are out on the water, and we'll all be fine.

Back before the World Wide Web in portland we used to look at the flag on top of the Fremont bridge. if it blew east, we went to hood river. west and it was a trip to Clatskanie...
jo_and_mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faradroka1 wrote:
some useful webcams fellow webandwindsurfers...

Thanks buddy!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: ha ha ha Reply with quote

This is actually a great posting subject. The addicted windsurfer knows that the forecasts are a guess, and will windsurf at his home spot anyway, the forecast just serves as a way to pass the day by at work. oh wow, its going to be 20+ at Crissy today, I guess Ill windsurf..........

how did the population of windsurfers get by wothout a computer in the heyday of the sport.......ha ha ha .
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me look out of cave...if tree move, me sail. Tree no move, me no move. Now me modern. Me have cave drawing of tree. Now me sit in dark cave waiting for drawing to move. Point Isabel tree drawing no move for very long time.
dgrissom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pretty accurate forecast service. The National Weather Service; and its free !!
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/

Click on coastal or bay areas. The coastal forecast is dead-on, and the bay forecast is usually pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: