myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to sleep in Hood River.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pendulero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Where to sleep in Hood River. Reply with quote

Hello to everybody:

I am thinking go to Hood River in August. I live in Barcelona ( Spain ) and I have no clear which it is the best option to sleep there. I don ot know nobody there was there and i need some informations. I have doubts between rent a "mobilhome" or book a hotel or similar...

Could you please help with you comments about diferents options and possible link or contact to sleeps ( hotels, break and breakfast..)

Thanks in advance.

Clemente.
Terryg11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how long you're coming for. There are various campgrounds, and of course, see the thread here on this board about car camping...
Pendulero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Camping Reply with quote

Hello Terryg11:

I will be there for two weeks. Do you think is better book a hotel or you think is better to rent a "mobil home".

Pendulero.
forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go the mobile home or van option as it gives you more flexibility and options. If you are traveling solo and are OK with primitive van camping you could rent a full-size cargo van and bring an inflatable sleeping matress, and use the van for accommodations and gear. Otherwise you can spend more $$ and rent a small RV in (portland) pdx:

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/locations/metroLocations.aspx?id=PDX

My preference would be a small self-contained camper van (eurovan type) though I didn't find any in PDX. See thread for more info on the RV and van options. If you rent a cargo van it is easier and less obvious to park overnite around the gorge and avoid having to pay for a campsite (we live in our camper van in the gorge on wknds).

ttp://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=10822&highlight=&sid=95ad0fd61b5c41689dcceabdf7dcc6cc

The mobile option is preferred because the wind location can vary in the gorge or shift to the oregon coast or lower columbia (jones beach) during periods of hot weather when portland becomes too hot (which causes gorge winds to shut off). I have seen more of these hot periods which can last 2-3+ days in August as compared to june or july, so having the option to travel and not be locked into fixed accommodations is better. Driving times to alternate sailing sites, from hood river, are: (1) central OR coast, florence, ~4hours. (2) lower colombia, jones beach, ~2hours, (3) far eastern gorge, Roosevelt or 3-mile, 1.5 hours, (4) S.Oregon coast, pistol river, ~7 hours.
Pendulero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Camping. Reply with quote

Hello Forwards:

Thanks a lot for your explanations. I am thinking go the first days to San Francisco and surroundings and after then go to Hood River. Do you think is a good idea rent the "mobilhome" in San Francisco and do the trip to the Gorge following the Pacific coast... Please think that my wife will go with me and not all can be wind and windsurf... I hope you know what I mean...

Do you know how many time will I need to to this trip from San Francisco to The Gorge ?.

Thanks in advance
TravisR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood River has some great hotels, that are probably more economical and easier to get than renting an RV and paying for the gas to drive it from San Fran. Check out the Hood River County Chamber of Commerce site which lists the hotels and businesses in The Gorge. There's lots of great stuff for your wife to do in town also, while you are out on the water. There's a great yoga studio and spa in Hood River called Flow Yoga!

http://www.hoodriver.org/HRCCC_CategoryTemplate.asp?CategoryINDX=504

Have a great trip! The wind here has been great!

TR
forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping. Reply with quote

Pendulero wrote:
Hello Forwards:
Please think that my wife will go with me and not all can be wind and windsurf... I hope you know what I mean...

Do you know how many time will I need to to this trip from San Francisco to The Gorge ?.

Thanks in advance

I have a wife so no further explanation required! Given your updated itinerary and plan, I would suggest finding an RV place that allows pickup in SFO and return in PDX to minimize the driving, since SFO->PDX is probably a 12hr drive (assuming direct route, much longer if doing the coastal route). I would recommend against doing this as a round trip since the direct route is boring and wastes a vacation day, and the coastal route is too slow to do more than once.

With this itinerary you would want to bring some of your own windsurfing gear since it will be difficult to find rentals on the south or central oregon coast. Also note that the south oregon coast, especially pistol river, often has very high winds requiring small gear (3.7/3.2/2.8m sail sizes not uncommon). If you are only planning to windsurf in the gorge there is lots of good rental gear available from many shops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: