myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Renting Gear in Maui
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benpfree1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
there are a couple of good options for renting near Kanaha. It depends a bit on your preference of sail/board makers. My preference is renting from Kanahakai, which is the shop for Hot Sails Maui. you can rent a "superfreak" sail or their other awesome models. see http://www.kanahakai.com/StoreFront.bok
Another option is the Maui windsurf company. They rent GOYA gear, which is also very good. http://www.mauiwindsurfcompany.com/
there is also a shop called HiTech, which has a good selection of boards including quatro.
I'd recommend calling around and seeing who offers what, and depeding on your preference of brand of gear, go with who offers the gear you want at a good price.
Ben
MCDORO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Simmer in Paia.....They load you up with gear so you don't have to keep going back. Boards are RRR, sails are superb.

Rod
tsokat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had great experiences with Maui Windsurf Company over the course of many years and will be renting from them again on vacation this June.
WindSapien

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Rental gear on Maui Reply with quote

You name it ...They have it. Maui has it all. I have rented at Hawaiian Island Surf and Sail for a dozen years or so and all the guys there are super. The last few years my wife and I have been sailing RealWinds so we started renting from Kanaha Kai. Sometimes we switch boards a couple of times a day.It is so easy,five minutes from Kanaha Beach Park to the shop. The Hot Sails are easy to rig and work well. It dosen't get much easier than that.I highly reccomend them. WS

ZZ 4,2 Kanaha.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.94 KB
 Viewed:  24199 Time(s)

ZZ 4,2 Kanaha.JPG

hildebra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used Hi Tech, near Hawaiian Island Surf & Sports on Hana Hwy near Dairy Road. I personally like Quatro and Ezzy, which is their lineup. They also have full line of Naish boards and sails. Simmer in Paia sounds great but note the traffic getting there everytime you want to switch gear, which could be everyday. You'll get the same boards at HT. HISS has JP and Starboard. Prices the same everywhere.
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Go see Leo at Hawaiian Island Surf and Sport 808-871-4981. www.hawaiianisland.com Hawaiian Island has the biggest selection of gear and will load everything up on your car for you.

Have fun!!! Smile
pthorner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Broken Gear Reply with quote

Just make sure you know what the deal is if gear gets broken. I've had shops charge me wholesale on gear I wrecked but know of shops that have charged full retail for a broken board that 2 years old and was rebroken where there was a major repair previously done. Find out about insurance and what the deal is. I personally have had great experiences and Neil Pryde Maui and Kanaha Kai. You might want to search the rec.windsurfing newsgroup for some stories about good and bad service.

Peter
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Maui Rental Reply with quote

Its been said here a couple of times. Kanaha Kai,grab a 90LTR Fish by Real Wind and enjoy !, when the wind cranks up, grab a 80LTR surflite. Real easy , and you wont waste time with crappy JP's, Naish, and other junk.
BillMangan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz,
i have been here 2 years now and the wind has been unbelievable the past two january's, I sailed everyday. Literally every single day of the month. In the past two years the worst month on maui has been march. You never know each year and each month is always different but the past two years have been epic here. the longest no wind i've seen is 3 weeks and that was in march but for the most part the whole year is windy except the ocassional 2-7 day break. may through september you are guaranteed wind it just doesn't stop blowing at all. it's retarded.

-derek
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Hey Derek, what's "retarded" about wind blowing all the time in Maui?Bull
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: