myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Launching priviliges at Presidio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Launching priviliges at Presidio? Reply with quote

Aloha to the West Coast. I have a question about WS launching rights at Presidio National Park. Here in the East we have a similar scenario where a historic military installation (Ft. Monroe in Hampton Roads Virginia) will be closed by the military in 2010. Future use is being... discussed. Green feverish city officials try to grap the land to sell it off to developers vs. activists who want to turn the place into a national park. The city/developer's plans are out and they leave virtually no open spaces. Our current launch would be gone as everything would be turned into private property with multi-million dollar homes and condo complexes. So we consider joining the activists who refer to the Presidio National Park as the model for Ft. Monroe. From a WS perspective... we are concerned once the National Park Service takes over they would disallow windsurfing similar to what we've seen at the river banks of the nearby Colonial Highway which is under National Park Service control for quite some time already. We were told we disturb the historic impression there (BS, of course). So my question is: what is the experience with the Presidio National Park? Does the National Park Service allow launching there? I know Crissy Field is nearby but wonder if this is part of the place. Thanks in advance.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reduced access, Reply with quote

Without active and vocal input from the local windsurfing community, SF BA specifically; I believe. We would have lost what little access we have. Their input was critical in moving the launch from the traditional site to a modified area upwind during runway removal (1997). Today; we did not lose all access to launch, we did lose about 100+ parking places.

The activists with whom the windsurfers sided took a pretty large section of beach for "migratory birds" I think they meant seagulls. Windsurfing verboten! Like we actually hang around trying to upset the eco-balance with noisy boards, trash, beach fires. Either way it was a good compromise.

For locals weekdays are uncrowded with clean grassy rigging, showers and grassy parking. Weekends the place is a zoo. I think the compromise we have; worked well.

Big swell and big winds to you.

Bill
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Crissy Field Reply with quote

Crissy Field is within the Presidio National Park and was redeveloped with significant windsurfer input. Current set up is not ideal from a wind standpoint and weekend crowds, but the nice grassy rigging area and showers to rinse off is pretty sweet.

Do not back down! If they want to use the Presidio as an example, let them. There are 60-70 windsurfers and kitesurfers enjoying that spot on a windy weekend.

We are also actively participating in the plans to redevelop Treasure Island out in the middle of the SF Bay. This is also a former military base that is being redeveloped by the City of San Francisco and a private developer. Both recognize there is real monetary value to their plans by enhancing access to the bay and activating these spaces by people actually using them.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, dont back down!
jpf18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you capicella,
Crissy Field sounds like a great reference! I will pass this along to everybody here. It is important for us to have this reference in order to make sure we associate ourselves with and support the right "team". If it turns out we lose access by winning, we're shooting ourselves in the foot. Are you aware of a written agreement or letter which establishes launching rights at Crissy Field? I'm asking as we were able to get in writing from the Commonwealth of Virginia that we are allowed to launch at any state park. Which is great to have... Especially as we have felt pressure in the last years keeping access at our various sites, in particular where we had built relationships with the land owners. These sites were sold over the years in order to plug in condo complexes or provide university overflow housing.

Generally speaking... it's going to be interesting to see how things are going to come out... The activists have had great success so far in stopping the City from trying to have favorable legislation passed in the state assembly in one of the compressed sessions where things pass through in light speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: