myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Creature sighted at Candlestick 06/13/07 " Nessy"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Creature sighted at Candlestick 06/13/07 " Nessy"? Reply with quote

Anyone spot a shiny object swimming around in the water at the stic last night. I was one of the last guys out. It was around 7pm. I snagged my fin while making a last desperate attempt to make the launch as the wind died. I wiped out. Thought it was some sea weed or something. This thing stuck its head up I thought it was a seal but it was huge like a seal but had a long neck with thick whiskers. Anyone had this experience? WTF are they dumping in the water around there???
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mutant kiter perhaps...
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward Penrose?
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW's watch I believe..
plattik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a sturgeon.
Terryg11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda-sleazee rice.
faradroka1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a shiny,scaly thing looked like a dragon behind His Lordships in berkeley about 3 years ago. Looked it up online, it was a sturgeon. The weird thing was, it went straight up real slow out of the water, then slowly lowered back down. It was then I realized there are FISH in the water.
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to ur description (huge like a seal but had a long neck with thick whiskers.) it sounds exactly like a sturgeon. See the picture I attached. looks familiar? Yes? Then it's a sturgeon!

This is an amazing fish, one of the oldest fish species around, still living on our planet. Sturgeons range from 7-12 feet in length and some grow up to 14 feet! They are bottom-feeders only! With their wedgeshaped snout they stir up soft bottom, just like the mud in the bay. They prefer brakish murky waters, just like the bay. They eat shells, crustaceans and small fish. They have no teeth, and are unable to capture large prey.

Hence, all of the descriptions above indicate it was a harmless sturgeon.

So no worries and enjoy the bay's nature.

ps: last year I saw a 3-4ft ray at Haskins! Just where you enter the water! Awesome!

Sturgeon.jpg
 Description:
sturgeon
 Filesize:  36.72 KB
 Viewed:  24185 Time(s)

Sturgeon.jpg

DonORiordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a ray at the Haskins Launch on several locations. Sometimes two of em...its kinda cool to see the wingtips flapping about just above the water level as the explore the shallows looking for food.

Just last week, I saw one at Palo Alto also...it was exploring the reeds at the waters edge at high tide, right next to the pier that leads out to the launch deck. 10 feet away from me, max.

(We've also seen a seal pop his head up in the channel/river by the PA launch on several occasions. Amazing that anything thrives in that muddy water, but there you go....)

Speaking of Palo Alto and the mud...check this 20 second movie out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZM5nGEAqlI

D
Jrobb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonORiordan wrote:
I've seen a ray at the Haskins Launch on several locations. Sometimes two of em...its kinda cool to see the wingtips flapping about just above the water level as the explore the shallows looking for food.

Just last week, I saw one at Palo Alto also...it was exploring the reeds at the waters edge at high tide, right next to the pier that leads out to the launch deck. 10 feet away from me, max.

(We've also seen a seal pop his head up in the channel/river by the PA launch on several occasions. Amazing that anything thrives in that muddy water, but there you go....)

Speaking of Palo Alto and the mud...check this 20 second movie out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZM5nGEAqlI

D

HA, did that a couple weeks ago on one of my first days at PA. luckily there was enough wind to power me through it.

Back on track...

There's a seal (harbor seal maybe) that hangs out at the stick sometimes. He/she was there a few days ago just floating around the launch area with only snout sticking up. Again a month ago it was there but bobbing in 2ft of water...snoozing right at the launch. Had to slap the water to get it to move so I didn't run it over trying to beach start. It finally moved but then kept comming back to lounge. I was nervous of jibing near shore as I didn't want to hit it. I've hit animale before at full tilt...not fun.
Silly little bugger.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: