myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to bring to the Gorge?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: What to bring to the Gorge? Reply with quote

We're leaving Friday for a week in Rowena. I'm square with my gear, but I'm
wondering what I'll be wearing. Both on the water and off. I have wetsuits
I'm comfortable sailing in in anywhere in and around S.F. Bay. I sail
without booties. I sail in a shortie at Sherman Island. We'll probably sail
near Rowena, and spend some time at the beginner areas so my wife can get
wet. Would that be Event Site?

And, on the way home we're going to Gold Beach, and sticking to the coast.
So I'm sure I'll need sweatshirts and long pants. What about in Rowena. I
mostly live in shorts around here (S.F.) in the spring, summer and fall.

Thanks,
Steve
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Wetsuits Reply with quote

I just sailed in my shorty for the first time this season.
You'll probably want all your wetsuits, shorty and convertible for the Gorge and fullsuit for the Coast. You'll be fine in short pants, but may want a light jacket or sweatshirt for the cool nights and windy days.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

June in the Gorge is kind of unpredictable. A week ago it was in the 80's and for the last few days in the 60's. The river water temp is currently 62F. I'm still using my long suit and don't switch to shorty until after 4th of July (I'll admit I'm a wimp about being cold). I always wear booties in the Gorge due to many rocky launches.

Much cooler at the OR Coast. Water is always in the mid-50's and air temps in the 50's or 60's is pretty typical.

Rowena is a nice spot, but tends to come up more in the afternoon. You can easily sail downwind to Doug's Beach which has better waves.

The Event Site is kind of overrun by kites this year. Best beginner spot is typically the Hook in HR (just west of Event Site - most of the lessons are held there).
bobg
snowcrash

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money. Hood River has many local amenities, what better to be seen in at power lines than a Northwave sweat shirt or a Tum-a-Lum tee?
If you invest in the local economy, then maybe a shopkeeper will do some repairs or build an addition, then I can earn gas money to get to Threemile Canyon. Cheers. /Wink
LAWLER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: starters Reply with quote

I swam a lot last year, so I'd say floatation, a helmet and arms/sholders that don't wear out. Not quite warm enough for shorties in the water, watch out for hypothermia after you get out of the water, a cool breeze and a wet body can cool you before you know it.

Have fun and warm up the wind for me. I'm a few weeks away from my trip.
TravisR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing gear (all of it), kite gear, surfboard, stand up paddle board, all of your wetsuits, road bike, mountain bike, dirt bike, kayak, skis, snow mobile, snowboard, hiking shoes, running shoes, yoga mat, camping gear, rain gear and a huge truck to haul all of it in! Have fun!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to the Gorge and spending a week "sailing at Rowena" is a lot like going to San Francisco and eating only at MacDonald's . . . except worse because at least MacDonald's always has food, whereas no Gorge spot blows for a week. Drive. It'll double your TOW and drop your jaw tenfold.

\m/
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Mike, are you saying that sailing at Rowena is the windsurfing equivalent of a Big Mac? It's been a while since I've had one, but I remember them being very consistent. When you order one you know what you are getting. If so, I'm bummed that we're staying in Rowena.

And of course I'm not sailing the entire week at Rowena. Hell, we probably burn more gasoline chasing the wind around San Francisco as you do. Well maybe not, but close. So I will setup my MotoQ to have all the IW sites in the Gorge before I leave, I will have my laptop as well, and I will be going where it's windy.

What's that Dear??? (Oh, well. Maybe not). Wink

Steve
repooc99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Bring all your rubber and your mountain bike too. Reply with quote

Lot's of good biking in the gorge! You won't regret having a bike handy.
Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:

1. So Mike, are you saying that sailing at Rowena is the windsurfing equivalent of a Big Mac?

2. It's been a while since I've had one, but I remember them being very consistent. When you order one you know what you are getting. If so, I'm bummed that we're staying in Rowena.

3. And of course I'm not sailing the entire week at Rowena. Hell, we probably burn more gasoline chasing the wind around San Francisco as you do. Well maybe not, but close. So I will setup my MotoQ to have all the IW sites in the Gorge before I leave, I will have my laptop as well, and I will be going where it's windy.

1. Yes, at least in the sense that it's just one among so many options. One man's burger is another's prime rib, but I'd get tired of even the latter if it were all I ate.

2. Same here. I haven't eaten in a burger joint since I learned to spell and pronounce sat fat. But Rowena is a primo place to stay no matter where one sails, and one must drive to optimize his sailing anyway, so I'd choose my lodging and sailing independently.

3. THAT'S all I wanted to hear. Too many Gorge newbies think it blows allatime everwhur and that water is water, and I didn't want you to fall in that trap through ignorance.

Besides, Rowena couldn't be much more centrally or beautifully located, and is a great spot from which to catch a surprise dawn or dusk session near "home" before or after a big day or a beginner sesh for the wife elsewhere.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: