myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Feeling ill from the water?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura&Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend is an attorney and about 90% of his business is DUI. Yes you can get a DUI for driving while you take benedryl. You would be surprised at the OTC and Rx drugs that can get you a DUI. So if you want to drive while taking any of those on the WA side, I will give you one of his cards. I am sure he would love to write off a sailing trip as a business expense.

I also have trouble with the river water. I get an outer ear infection each year. I have an Rx from my doctor that seems to lessen the effect. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about the situation and he will be able to recommend the best solution.
Stacey Wenger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: River Nose Reply with quote

As most of you know, what everyone is referring to is technically called "River Nose". In the spring I get it so bad that I actually consider giving up the sport (until the next windy day). Without meds I will sneeze 20+ times in a row. Clortrimeton has worked great in the past but this year I've been getting drousy and mentally slow.

I have noticed that this is primarily a spring event. By mid-summer it doesn't effect me anymore. My guess is that either the spring water includes more herbisides from field run-offs and/or there is a higher pollen count floating on the river surface.

On thing is for sure. As a whitewater boater, I've been in many rivers that have given me a thurough nose flushing. ONLY the columbia river gives me river nose.

Jeff
alohannie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Let me guess: you've never sailed at Clatskenie. Reply with quote

Hey Isobars,
It's the Brawny paper mill/plant in Clatskenie spewing out Black Liquor which is causing those problems with you. I know this is true because my boyfriend just quit working on that job doing union construction work. It's horrible & he was very sick. He worked the job for about a month. He said everyone was sick at various times....even some with the runssssssssssssss. (not funny) He told me there were ponds of crud as well....so I am sure it's all leaking into the Columbia.
Hey-have a great day!
robertc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: River Nose Reply with quote

There are alternatives to the drugs, steroids, etc. for the common
condition of "river nose" experienced in the Columbia. The river has a lot
of contaminants in it as mentioned & some people have a very high
sensitivity to chemicals, pollens & other environmental toxins.

GET ACUPUNCTURE! Acupuncture can help strengthen your immune system to food/ chemical sensitivities & allergies & can also help with the acute symptoms of "river nose". This also includes plugged ears
which may become subject to ear infections if not taken care of.

I am an acupuncturist & successfully treat this all the time here in the Gorge. See your friendly local Gorge acupuncturist (there are several of us) to help you out.

(The "forum name" is not my real name)
billgfc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: hydration Reply with quote

I have been sailing the Gorge since 1980 and rarely if ever have any of these symptoms. As most outdoors folks know, you do not drink the water in mountain streams in the wilderness anymore than the Columbia.

Second, I had many of these stated symptoms while skiing and living in Utah at High Altitude. In 98% of cases it was lack of hydration. I would get stuffy nose, parched throat and a variety of cold symptoms.

We are sailing in a rather dry windy environment here. Note how fats potted plants dry out in a breeze. The most complaints seem to occur after nuclear wind days. Remember, the are often preceded by very warm dry spells with low humidity.

Drink water , lots of it. A professional in Sports Fitness may have the best recommends, but my memeory suggests a cup of water minimum for every 1/2 hr outside and maybe more for on the water depending on body size
Carl2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: water hazards Reply with quote

isobars you missed getting scooped up by an aerial tanker filling up fighting grass fires (July 4 at Doug's some years ago)
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: water hazards Reply with quote

wardjagels wrote:
isobars you missed getting scooped up by an aerial tanker filling up fighting grass fires (July 4 at Doug's some years ago)

Yup, I forgot about that. I watched "Ken" and an unidentified companion jumping into the Sea Stallion tanker-chopper's rotor wash just to get kicked sideways out of it. Rare opportunity for a different twist, a bit like sailing into desert dust devils, but repeatable (until they were ordered away).

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let me guess: you've never sailed at Clatskenie. Reply with quote

alohannie wrote:
Hey Isobars, It's the Brawny paper mill/plant in Clatskenie spewing out Black Liquor which is causing those problems with you.

That, and such things as ships flushing their toilet tanks in front of Jones Beach to save the cost of pumping them out in port.

\m/
gorgekite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saline spray in the nose after to washout the river water and alcohol drops in the ears to do the same will help a lot. Swimmers have been using this stuff for ever even in clean water.
alohannie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Let me guess: you've never sailed at Clatskenie. Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
alohannie wrote:
Hey Isobars, It's the Brawny paper mill/plant in Clatskenie spewing out Black Liquor which is causing those problems with you.

That, and such things as ships flushing their toilet tanks in front of Jones Beach to save the cost of pumping them out in port.

\m/

blahhhhhhhhh.........................................you're grossing me out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: