myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Feeling ill from the water?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop it, you guys are scaring me!
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend more time on the river than most folks, so guess I'm the experimental rat that scientists will pull apart some day when I'm bound fer glory (eternal sunshine w/3.7 winds + mast high smoothie swell). Been sailing this here ol' ditch for more than 20 years... year-round sailor for much of this time. I've become really good at staying out of the water (especially in winter), but I'm an old dog taking on new tricks and taking on water in the process.

There was a time when allergies got to me, and the river seemed to increase this problem. Not anymore. I have not had any problems at all with itchy eyes, congestion, nor any other symptoms mentioned here. If I do lose sleep, it's because my adrenaline is still running high from a good sesh.

Guess my body has adapted to the environment and exposure to the toxins and the pollens from the river. That's been my experience... your mileage may vary.

-- Wind Mountain Pete
minstigate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with all of you? Except for Jim oaks and that isobars dude, you all sound like you came straight to the river from some star trek convention. I've been sailing in that river for over 20 years. I fall in all the time. I swim in it. I haven't caught some awful disease, and I don't get congested at night.

I'm amazed that so many people have this problem. Maybe it's the person and not the river.

Oh, and it's not the nose plugs Jim. It's the planing forwards when your over sixty. That's why I'll still give you some room.
haywood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "river nose," allergies, etc. Reply with quote

windbabe wrote:
I used to get terrible allergies (sneezing, itching eyes, etc) from the river. Then a doctor friend gave me some prescription steroidal nasal spray to use before going in the Columbia. It works like a charm - no more sneezing or runny nose.

Unlike Benadryl, the nasal spray (Nasocort?) doesn't make me drowsy.

My understanding is that you aren't supposed to use this stuff constantly, but I don't have to.

Temira

I've had the same issues with the water - especially in the spring/early summer. I was prescribed Nasacort as well and it has worked great.

I think one of the biggest issues is for people who have a slight allergy problem, the water enhances it since the pollen/allergens collect on the surface and become superconcentrated...especially Apr/May/June
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mulekick84 wrote:
Stop it, you guys are scaring me!

Don't sweat i. Updraft is just trying to reduce the crowds. He omitted the ubiquitous poison oak, the numerous skunks, the locals occasionally beating the crap out of sailors, getting caught in fishing nets, barges, underwater log rafts, fighter aircraft parts raining on launch sites, lightning, gear thefts, desk-sized heaps of fish guts left rotting in the July sun just upwind of launches, highway closures due to wildfires blocking the way home in the evening, hitting deer and black angus cows on Highway 14 after dark, rapidly increasing police surveillance on Highway 14, locals insisting on their ROW on the swell, leaping sturgeon destroying knees, the Dangler and even worse a-holes, big glowing chunks of Hanford floating down the river, 18-wheelers blowing off the bridge onto the swell, and junk food.

What'd I miss, Updraft? Wink

\m/
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot the UFO abductions when aliens force folks to drink Budweiser beer.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:

Don't forget rattlesnakes in the rigging area, locals driving pickups and firing bullets through ports potties, driving over WSing rigs on the ground and tents late at night, and, oh, yes . . . PEOPLE SAILING IN STRAIGHT LINES IN SWELL! Wink

And realize that except for the Hanford chunks floating down the river (Hanford chunks sink), my whole list is real.

\m/
updraft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by updraft on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
WMP wrote:

....except for the Hanford chunks floating down the river (Hanford chunks sink), my whole list is real.

\m/

So was my list... especially about the beer, otherwise why folks drink that chit?

Alright, I'll add more to my chit list.... deer ticks and poison oak, BOTH of which are thriving in vast numbers at the Narrows this year. Also saw a snake in the rigging area last week... not sure what breed, but since I've seen rattlers on Dog Mtn (right up the road), wouldn't be surprised if it were a rattler.
seabrookuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Response to Isobars RE: Benedryl Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
angus44 wrote:
Isobars, you might consider that everybody has different body chemistry. I feel absolutely no side effects from Benedryl & it doesn't affect my sailing. End of story. What I do know is that when I'm done sailing I can sleep at night, I can breathe thru my nose & my sinuses aren't filled with shit.

"But, Oshiffer . . . I'm not drunk."

I suggest you Google a string of words such as diphenhyrdamine acetylchoiine anticholinergic psychotic drug alcohol neurotransmitter performance. You'll quickly find a few interesting facts, such as:
1. Benadryl works by inhibiting neurotransmitter function. If it helps your allergies, it's miring your neuromuscular system in molasses, even if you don't feel drowsy.
2. Many studies have shown that it impairs our motor performance as much as or more than being legally drunk. (Thus the DUI if caught driving on it.)
3. It exacerbates the effects of many drugs (including alcohol very strongly) and is contraindicated with many common meds and medical conditions.
4. It's much like NSAIDS such as Advil and aspirin in the sense that people assume it's pretty harmless. (The estimate of the number of deaths attributed to common NSAIDS runs up to 40,000 each year in the U.S. alone.)

Feel free to use it all you wish on the water, but please, for my sake, don't drive on WA Highway 14 while on it. I use it, but not when vertical. After all, it is the sole active ingredient in most OTC sleeping pills

\m/
dude your obviously not an MD & just because you do a google search doesn't make you one. If you don't want to take OTC's then more power to you, but luckily for the rest of us, we can make our own choices to use OTC drugs responsibly or not!. That is what the directions and contraindications are on the bottle for. Benadry IS completely Legal and safe when used as directed for the majority of folks. It is by the way in "modern " usage. Go get a med degree and teach if you want to lecture every one. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: