myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board storage NYC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaakko

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: board storage NYC? Reply with quote

will be working in NYC during the coming fall and planning to take with me equipment. living in a small studio, so storage of gear will be a problem (storing in a van will not be an option). back home (in Finland) local clubs provide their members on-site containers for storage, are there any available on Long Island? any experience of companies providing mini-storages in NYC area? any and all advice would be most welcome.
jaakko

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broadreach5 wrote:
...you that most Europeans that come to the states have no idea how vast our country is. Maps can be rather deceptive when it comes to distances and travel times....

yes, very true, I did not realize before for example how LOOONG Long Island actually is!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some New York City windsurfers do keep their gear in the city, though others have worked out individual storage closer to where they sail. There aren't any real windsurfing clubs per se.

Here are some resources for you: An excellent forum for people sailing in central Long Island (easiest for you to reach from New York) is the Yahoo Long Island windsurfing group. You need to request membership, but that shouldn't be a problem:
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/LongIslandWindsurfer/

There is an outstanding windsurfing shop further east on the island, called Windsurfing Hamptons. It is a wonderful source of information and equipment. Jonathan Ford is the man to talk to. The store's website is at http://www.w-surf.com/

I have a blog about windsurfing on Long Island, though it tends to focus on sailing the eastern portion (furthest from the city)...my wife and I have a place to stay and store our equipment out there. The blog is at
http://www.peconicpuffin.com

Hopefully this will help. Long Island gets excellent windsurfing conditions, though you need to check the weather forecast daily to determine when to sail.
jaakko

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PeconicPuffin, many thanks for the info, I will definitely try to join the yahoo-group, the peconicpuffin web-site has been a great source of info so far
Barnett

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think NY sailors sail many places on the Jersey shore. Cape Cod is nicer and more reliable, but also farther (you should leave at least two days). The winds are more reliable and the motels are very cheap before July 4 or after Labor Day (early Sept).
michaelingbar

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: NYC Board storage Reply with quote

I live in Manhattan and store my 5 boards and other stuff in my office storage space. My problem is I have no transport and always depending on others to get to the beaches. If you have a vehicle, maybe we can work something out!
PeteCress

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: board storage NYC? Reply with quote

Several NYC'ers store their equipment down near Atlantic City NJ.

It's a couple hours drive for them IIRC.

www.ExtremeWindsurfing.com is the web site.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Board Storage-Lakes Bay NJ Reply with quote

The Extreme Windsurfing location on Lakes Bay is right on the water w/ Hampton Inn, board shop, shallow water, reliable thermals, cheap camping nearby, kite sailing, windsurfing, gear storage for a fee, rentals, gambling, what more could you want?
Livorno

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you can store a board in NYC, I now live in MD, but several people drive south from NYC or further North to Lakes Bay, NJ (just out side of Atlantic City).
There is a shop there and they have board storage right on the water. It is Extreme Windsurfing - talk to Jim the owner, tell him Linda from Baltimore sent you. Here is the web site www.extremewindsurfing.com

There are several places to sail on LI but the traffic is really bad and you just might be better off coming south. Lakes Bay usually blows more than anywhere else. Hope to see you on the water.

Good Luck.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livorno wrote:
I don't know where you can store a board in NYC, I now live in MD, but several people drive south from NYC or further North to Lakes Bay, NJ (just out side of Atlantic City).
There is a shop there and they have board storage right on the water. It is Extreme Windsurfing - talk to Jim the owner, tell him Linda from Baltimore sent you. Here is the web site www.extremewindsurfing.com

There are several places to sail on LI but the traffic is really bad and you just might be better off coming south. Lakes Bay usually blows more than anywhere else. Hope to see you on the water.

Good Luck.

Linda, it's great to advocate for locations you like, but saying "the traffic is really bad and you just might be better off coming south" is not very helpful. NYC windsurfers regularly drive to any number of locations offering conditions from shallow flatwater to chop to waves on Long Island faster than they can make it to Lakes Bay. There are several good spots that are reachable in an hour or less. Getting to Lakes Bay in two hours would be making good time.

I have no doubt that Lakes Bay has much to offer...tout that! But please don't diss what you don't really know.

(anyone looking for a collection of sailing spots on Long Island can check out the map here: http://peconicpuffin.typepad.com/the_peconic_puffin/2006/12/windsurfing_pec.html It's incomplete but still paints a fairly good picture of the options on Long Island.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: