myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's up with the forecasts???????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex177

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattman wrote:
Please.... use the forecast feedback link on the forecast to give your feedback directly to our team. Posting this on the forum might get seen by us... but the feedback tool WILL be seen and help us to get better.

Matt, what kind of "constructive" feedback do you want to hear? I thought the most constructive feedback are iW's sensors. For instance, iW promised 12NE at Pleasure Bay this evening, but the sensor said it was 12 SE. Both are good for PB, but still...
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigairhead wrote:
I make a four hour drive one way from Raleigh NC to Hatteras based on the forecasts and I've scored big every trip this season . I find this service invaluable . See you on the water !
It's easy to forecast most parts of the country like Hatteras, but it is near impossible to forecast New England for those kinds of trips. Let me give you an example. Wednesday it was predicted on I-windsurf that the winds would be strongest on the outer Cape and between the hours of 9 and 12 A.M. Well, the winds were certainly increasing as I drove down the Cape. When I arrived around 10 and put up my wind meter at Pleasant Bay, everything was going as predicted. However, the winds didn't die as predicted in the afternoon. In fact they increased in intensity. Both my meter and another sailors confirmed this. We also saw increasing winds at the I-windsurfing sensor at the other side of Chatham on the south shore. NOAA had extended their small craft warning an additional 24 hours through to the next evening. They also were issuing a High Surf warning for Thursday on the weather channel. Often I'll take the opportunity to sail the first day in a predicted multi-day high wind forecast knowing how often the forecasts change. You just can't be a true believer. I don't subscribe to the I-windsurf services because a number of times in the past I've gotten excited over their forecasts, taken the preparations for a session, and driven twenty minutes to the local beach only to be disappointed. When I lived in Boston, I would go through the same routine, waste more time driving and wind up sitting on my hands in the sand. It's better for me to get a general idea of the conditions from the usual sources and then expect surprises. Even local conditions can vary widely. There's a private sensor on the Waquoit Yatch club house which some kiters can access. However, it doesn't always give credible readings. I can bicycle down to the town landing that sits next to it and observe the Bay from one end to the other. One day this spring I did just that. Using binoculars I saw rather flat water (no white caps) at the outside end of the bay and no activity (sails, kites). Returning home, I hemmed and hawed, thought about driving futher, reluctantly departed and finally arrived at the launch. Well, it was blowing like stink and the guy who installed the windmeter was out kiting. I helped another kiter launch. He told me that Ed, the kiter on the water, had called him about the favorable readings. Rolling Eyes
tom_eberhard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the best thing to do for the cape is to check the isobar forcast. If you see straight lines, all nicely aligned, lots of them, and getting tighter as the day progresses then it's good.

If they're vertical, you should see 7 or more for a good day. If they're horizontal, I look for 5 or more. Also you need sunshine / high temperatures to drive the thermals.

There's only 2 features I really want:
- Email the forecasts and 11:30 updates.
- A page where people can say where they're going sailing and when.
That way if the forecast is marginal and 20 people are going to Kalmus you know something is up.
Personally I think this Sunday (june 24th) is looking promising on the cape.
Tom. (Boston)
marccoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: bring back the 11:30 am update Reply with quote

Hi guys -

I agree that wind forecasting is an inexact science at best. However, it does seem like the forecasters put much more effort into the forecasts a few years ago then they do know. (With the exception of Matt - it seems like he still tries; unlike the other guys who just cut and paste way too much!)

I have a suggestion - why don't we use the forecast feedback as Matt suggests and also copy it to this forum, so all members can get a feeling what goes on behind the scenes. Perhaps Matt and the other meteorologists could post occasional replies to the forecast feedback as well here, in a public setting.

What do you think?

Marc

Marc
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcoe,

I like your idea of using the feedback link and posting to this forum too. That way others who may have had a different experience on that day can chime in. Now I just have to remember to do it.
jkrouwer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some feedback for Thurs. June 21. The forecast for MA south coast was for little wind until late - don't remember the exact details but West Falmouth was forecast at 12-16 for most of the afternoon.

I suspected more wind - low humidity, NWS forecasts, sunny. My signal was the Buzzards Bay buoy which turned SW 13 at 11AM (it had been NW). I left for Ned's Point when it read NW at 4. When I arrived it was 20-25 SW which was ideal sailing. West Falmouth was 25-30 SW. I had to leave at 3 PM.

I suppose the most surprising thing is that there were no iWindsurf updates (checked when I was home at 5PM).
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was wondering if anyone else had been sailing that day. Wacko Bay was refreshingly deserted of accomplished kiters. Only a few body dragging beginners had taken the forecast for a good wind indication. In spite of all predictions, the winds were rather strong. Nevertheless, I'm not going to load the car and rush out to Chappy this morning in spite of the good current readings and potential for strong winds to noon according to the forecast. The emphasis would be on potential and the reality would be that a NW at Chappy isn't reliable. I snoozed, and I losed. The forecast was there.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surmising that some weather set ups are often repeated, and therefore deliver confident computer model predictions. And there are those rogue set ups, where no one is quite sure, so the meteorologists make a prediction anyway with low confidence. I think it helps a lot to know how confident the meteorlogist is of his/her forcast. Lately, I'm home when it's windy, and at the beach when it's calm, all of this while religiously analyzing the iwindsurf forecasts. Something is wrong with this picture!
cjanson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Welcome to windsurfing.... Reply with quote

That's just the way it is... if youre getting all edgy and doubting life choices because the wind isnt blowing, find another hobby. Or seek therapy. After 20 years of sailing, if the wind isnt there, I find something else to do.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wacko Bay was refreshingly deserted of accomplished kiters."

You mean psychokiter wasn't there? Surely, broadreach, beachdoser, sinbad, gaastrageezer, bigwebsailer, snowyguy, and tycoonguy were there to keep you company. Wink

Last edited by pueno on Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: