myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's up with the forecasts???????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: I Agree Reply with quote

Up here in Ontario the forcasting seems to be the same......POOR! I understand that forcasting is dificult but when you pay for a service you expect a great product.

I try to meld about 5 different forcast into one then pick a spot I know. My favorite spot has had its sensor down for the last 5 weeks!! This sensor helps me when estimating wind elsewere. Oh well, im starting to think Iwindsurf is more conserned about advertising then the product they sell.
mattman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather is a challenging thing to try to tackle and we do the best we can. Our forecasters are the only ones who can see the small intricacies of the winds because only our forecasters have the sensors at the beaches where you sail to verify forecasts. But... mother nature still holds the cards and we do get bit on occasion. There is a forecast feedback link on every forecast. I encourage you to use that to let us know what you experience on the water and how we can improve.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Corey
Meteorologist
WeatherFlow
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I spend a lot of time outdoors, I have been watching the weather forecastings for many decades. It has improved, for sure. I hear many people complain about the industry, but I wonder how many of them actually give them the attention they deserve. You are better off looking at many forecasts and studying the indicators that you can access (maps, etc.) and then make your own forecast than relying on one forecaster. Living only a few miles from where I sail, I often am surprised at the winds there. You just can't take forecasters as people who speak the gospel truth. They make educated guesses which is about all any person can do.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My beef is that for $100 a year, we should get better quality -- and if quality is not possible, then reduce the membership and generate income with the ads. Ever since Wind Hot Line became iwindsurf, they have jacked the prices in a ridiculous way, and the work has not gotten better.

Jean
Terryg11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I Agree Reply with quote

snowy wrote:
Up here in Ontario the forcasting seems to be the same......POOR! I understand that forcasting is dificult but when you pay for a service you expect a great product.

I try to meld about 5 different forcast into one then pick a spot I know. My favorite spot has had its sensor down for the last 5 weeks!! This sensor helps me when estimating wind elsewere. Oh well, im starting to think Iwindsurf is more conserned about advertising then the product they sell.

They've been very wrong this year here in the gorge. And, they're only even attempting forcasts one day ahead now.
mattman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

Make sure you are clicking on the Extended forecast tab for the next 3-4 day forecasts.

Note... again.... weather forecasting is inexact and we do the best we can. We really do care about our product and our accuracy. There is a Forecast Feedback link on every forecast that our forecasters read. Flaming us in a forum is fun for sure but if you want to be constructive please use the feedback link.

Thanks,
Matt

Meteorologist
WeatherFlow
bigairhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a four hour drive one way from Raleigh NC to Hatteras based on the forecasts and I've scored big every trip this season . I find this service invaluable . See you on the water !
remenarj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that forecasting is poor.
I had a great session at Duxbury two days ago by ignoring the forecast and going with the NOAA computer generated numbers......if only the tide wouldn't have made it un-sailable later in the day.

What bothers me is that the NOAA computer model numbers had been predicting 2-4 PM peak winds for days while the iwindsurf forecasts insisted the peak winds would pass by Noon......hardly worth leaving work early for.

I'm just wondering if the iwindsurf crew is trusting their own models to the exclusion of others....one would think that such a discrepancy would be highlighted and explained. Unfortunately, I can't go back to see if there is a trend because I have not been able to find archived forecasts for comparison to the actual readings.

In their defense, iwindsurf was closer on peak wind strengths, just several hours off on the timing.
mattman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duxbury is a real challenge. It can often out perform the cape on a NE as well as a marginal SE sea breeze day. Recent feedback has suggested though that the sensor may be over-reading in the NE direction. I'd be curious if anyone can provide further feedback on this observation.

We use MANY sources of weather data for our forecasts. The most valuable information for us is our own sensor network to verify our predictions... but also very important is the feedback from the people on the water to tell us right away where we did good and not so good. No other service has the sensors to learn from their mistakes... and I suspect...... no other service cares if they are wrong. We do.

Please.... use the forecast feedback link on the forecast to give your feedback directly to our team. Posting this on the forum might get seen by us... but the feedback tool WILL be seen and help us to get better.

Keep in mind that we do so many forecasts that the sooner you can tell us your observations, the fresher the synoptic setup will be in our minds.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Corey
Meteorologist
WeatherFlow
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the wind at Duxbury, bayside in a NE, tends to be a little gusty north of the bridge, even lighter south of the bridge. It seems like I need a little more wind than the meter is saying but I just thought it was because the wind is a little broken up and gusty. If it's strong enough it doesn't matter. The wind, south of the bridge in a SW, S, SE, seems much more consistant and on target. But I know this is general feedback. I'll try to pay close attention next time and use the forecast feedback link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: