myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay downwinders web site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markpaine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: SF Bay downwinders web site Reply with quote

Alright, as threatened yesterday afternoon, I registered a domain and put together a primitive web site for expressing your interest in doing SF Bay downwinders.

Right now, you can just go in and register and create a profile. You'll be able to express your interest in a particular event by tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.

The forms are a bit cryptic. You'll want to enable Javascript simply so you can roll over the form labels for clarifications.

I've proposed a downwinder for Saturday July 7th from Candlestick to 3rd. The tide prediction shows a high tide at 3rd in the late afternoon/early evening, so it should work out well.

http://highwaytoswell.com

By the way, it's hosted on a server that I also use to serve the web site for a well-known windsurfing school (as a favor to a friend only), but using a different IP address. Still, they share a common back end server. As far as I can tell I've instructed Apache via rewrite rules to keep the two completely separate. If you accidently wind up unexpectedly on a page that doesn't seem to be related to the downwinders, I apologize. I'm *not* trying to take advantage of an opportunity to drum up business.

Finally, I put it together on Linux/Firefox, but it seems to behave with IE7 (when scripting is turned on), Safari, & Konqueror.

Now Yindee the Boxer gets to go to Fort Funston. See you on the water this afternoon. Smile

-Mark Paine
soheilzahedi5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're on the topic of downwinders, the Ronstan Bay Challenge is on this Sat June 9th (tomorrow). This is a long distance race from Crissy to the Berkeley pier and back. Ok, it's a downwinder and then an upwinder. Most, if not all will be on Formula gear. There are kites doing the race as well but I'm not sure which course they'll be running. First possible start is at 11:30am but might be later if the wind fills in later...

more details here:

http://stfyc.com

and here:

http://calcupevents.com
alextarg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to do the Coyote to Third downwinder whenever you want by yourself is to stop at Third first and drop off a GoPed S25 gas powered scooter ($300 new) and lock it up. It folds up like a Razor scooter, weighs 20 lbs, can go 20 mph, and has a 50 mile range. The tires are solid rubber, so it cannot get a flat tire. It is direct drive, so there is no chain to break. It is the smallest solution (3' x 8" x 10" folded).

Drive to Coyote and sail down to Third. Scooter back up along the Bay Trail, drive down to Third, and go home.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: SF Bay downwinders web site Reply with quote

markpaine wrote:
Alright, as threatened yesterday afternoon, I
Finally, I put it together on Linux/Firefox, but it seems to behave with IE7 (when scripting is turned on), Safari, & Konqueror.

Now Yindee the Boxer gets to go to Fort Funston. See you on the water this afternoon. Smile

-Mark Paine

Hey Mark FYI, I signed up. When you roll over the description and the clarification box comes up, it gets blocked by the pull down menues of Entry and Exit sites. I'm using IE6 btw.

J
markpaine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current status:
- We've got 5 riders signed up right now.
- You can sign up for downwinder events now. Right now there's just the July 7th Candlestick to 3rd event.

Future:
- Allow people to view other rider profiles (don't worry, your email and phone will remain private unless you explicitly allow otherwise, and even then the email addresses will be javascript encoded to prevent spam harvesting)
- Suggested buddy clustering (suggest buddies based on expressed buddy preferences, carpool capacity, radio carriers, etc)
- Better UI. Bear in mind that what's there is the result of about 3 or 4 hours work.
- Create events based on most popular entry/exit sites

http://highwaytoswell.com

See you on the water. Looks like Haskins for me late today, Smile
-Mark Paine
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Mark. I give. I enter my email and phone # and it comes back invalid registry. How do I get in?

Also, I have sailed upwind from coyote a number of times and have gotten as far as oyster point. There is a huge wind shadow (due to San Bruno Mtn) between Candlestick and Oyster. I could never get upwind of that. We may want to start at Oyster, rather than the stick. However, I have never tried to sail downwind of the stick. Has anyone sucessfully done it?
Jrobb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
OK Mark. I give. I enter my email and phone # and it comes back invalid registry. How do I get in?

Also, I have sailed upwind from coyote a number of times and have gotten as far as oyster point. There is a huge wind shadow (due to San Bruno Mtn) between Candlestick and Oyster. I could never get upwind of that. We may want to start at Oyster, rather than the stick. However, I have never tried to sail downwind of the stick. Has anyone sucessfully done it?

Phone# can't have - or spaces just numbers

J
markpaine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call Gerritt. I changed the entry site to Haskins. It'll have enough water by 2:00 and we won't even have to deal with the Genentech shadow, let alone the San Bruno Mountain shadow.

I also got off my lazy butt and changed the phone number validator so you can use spaces, parentheses, and hyphens when you register/log in. It all gets normalized down to a 10-digit number (so you don't have to remember from registration to login whether you typed it with parentheses or hyphens or whatever).

-Mark
Jrobb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:

On the rare occasion it blows S or SW at Candlestick it can be done. I've only seen 2 days like this per year for the past few years. I've made it South to about Haskins (just S of Genentech) but out in the Bay about a mile before turning back. It was too chopy for the board I had but it was still fun. It was easy heading straight for Coyote.

J
sergem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I got confused on "Entry point capacity" and "Exit point capacity". I can transport 5 people including me, all without gear, or 2 people, including me, with our gear - what do I write in profile?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: