myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing Brisbane Lagoon/Sierra Point Lagoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Sailing Brisbane Lagoon/Sierra Point Lagoon Reply with quote

OK, here's an obscure one. I'm (almost...but not) willing to bet my entire quiver that no one will even respond to this post, let alone say "yes, I've done that."

SIERRA POINT LAGOON
Brisbane. Sierra Point turnoff from the 101, in the Candlestick & Oyster Point general vicinity. Launch at the North end of the lake, which is located at the base of San Bruno Mountain there...on a SW wind. I've been told in the past that this is actually a relatively fun place to sail for a change-up, or for a once-in-a-lifetime new spot to sail.

Anyone done it?

George
PS: the Sierra Point iWindsurf sensor is out in the Bay and a bit south. The sensor is offshore from the Sierra Point Marina. It would be an even more obscure piece of knowledge as to how that sensor's readings relate to windsurfing at this Lagoon. On the map below it seems a shoe-in that the sensor would relate, but that mountain represents serious topography so... who knows?

hq_map_lg.gif
 Description:
Map courtesy of WilyTech's website.
 Filesize:  17.97 KB
 Viewed:  7766 Time(s)

hq_map_lg.gif

Jrobb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sailed there but on days like yesterday at Candlestick, it would be fun for short bafing in no chop. Biggest I've seen there is maybe 10".

There's a sign...a few actually posted that state it's a private lagoon and not open to boating traffic. No canoes, kayaks, and I take it to mean sailboards too.

It's a bit shallow mainly towards the South end, and along the shore of the East side it's dotted with large boulders just under the surface.

Winds there typically clock about NW and come from the bridge area so longest run is around 1000yds unless you go deep downwind.

I've spent many a day drooling over its possibilities, but then I just go to Candlestick instead. Always looks gusty...more so than Candlestick.

For sh*ts and giggles, yesterday @ 1:30 pm is was easily sailable 5.3 -5.0
I've noticed Candlestick seems to be windier than the lagoon...

btw. Where is the Candlestick sensor located?

J
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlestick sensor is directly west of the launch & start of the sailing area -- a couple of blocks west of the freeway. Closest spot with a mostly-good representative wind reading + phone and power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: