myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing around boston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmheespelink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Boston sailing Reply with quote

welcome to the east coast. The land of great but unreliable wind!!
I lived in Dorchester for 15 years, had a veiw of the harbor and was 5 minutes from castle island. I personally think its the best sailing in the immediate boston area (outside, not the puddle except in hurricanes).
It works best on sw and ne but is sailable in wnw or nw but nw is very gusty there. Try wollaston beach in quincy for nw, still gusty but much cleaner wind. You can sail castle island year round but the puddle is restricted in summer not to mention it is now filled with kites. Yes get a big board and sails I'm 6'3" 215 lb Use a jp 124 litres and up to an 8.0
for the harbor unless its really solid then i'll use a smaller board 94l. I have had julys where i sailed twice a week after work at castle island. It can be a surprisingly good placeto sail. Be careful on small boards in the harbor the wind can die or shift veeeeery quickly. The cape is worth the drive. lots of places,its the accsess and restrictions that make it difficult there.
wmheespelink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other thing about the harbor then i'll shut up. rig a little bigger than you think you should and hold on through the gusts, they always end eventually and you'll have some exciting rides!!
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wmheespelink,

Where do you launch for sailing in the harbor? I've been sailing in the pond/pleasure bay and haven't noticed anyone going out into the harbor. Do you just walk it across from there?
wmheespelink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper, you launch at the beach that faces south looking towards umass.
you can park right there and rig on the grass under the trees. look out for dog poop. I moved to winchester a couple of years ago and it really put a damper on the number of days im there. the sailing scene has diminished as the kiting scene has grown ,used to be a great group of regular sailors a few years ago. I am going to make a serious effort to sail there much more this year. keep an eye out and you will see people out there on the good days. I try to get there by 330 or 4, sail to 6 or 630. see you there if its good.
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the info. Hope to see you there one of these days.
gt007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: castle island Reply with quote

What are the directions to the castle island launch?
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it easiest to take exit 15 off 93 S. Follow signs for Columbia Rd, S Boston or Castle Island. You follow the shore all the way to Pleasure Bay. Castle Island is the end of the road. There's a monument and park at the begining of PBay. Many sailors park there. You have access to the pond (PBay) and the open water in Quincy Bay.

Here's a link to a site that gives details on many NE sailing sites:
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~rweiss/MA_windsurfing_info.html
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Boston sites Reply with quote

Dunoyer wrote:
West Dennis Beach on the Cape is an old standby, accessible year around, offers flat water on the inside, waves on the outside, most reliable wind -- near where they want to install the offshore wind farm.

Jean

Inside means close to the beach, outside means a half mile out where there is a rock pile, the shifting shoals create some pretty nice waves.
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: waves at wst dennis Reply with quote

I know that everyone calls West Dennis a wave site but I have never found ridable waves there. For me it's more of a chop hopping site than a wave riding site. I think it depends on the tide and wind strength. I was there 2 weeks ago, good wind, good chop-hopping, took a run out to the rocks and there were little to no waves and lighter wind just inside the pile. It was high tide.
gt007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: directions Reply with quote

Thank you for the directions.

In the summer, besides Cape Cod, are the windsurfing venues around Newport, RI, worth the trip?

In terms of Cape Cod, from what I have read it seems like Kalmus and West Dennis are the best windsurfing beaches, or at least the ones with the least restrictions during the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: