myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing around boston
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing that nobody has mentioned Nahant here. It used to be the most popular sailing site in the Boston area.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been searching good windsurfing sites in the Boston area for the past 20 years and the beauty of it is I'm still making discoveries. Wave-wise at West Dennis, the tide needs to be low, and I forget whether it's outgoing or incoming that gives the steepest faces, but that's the thing I love about sailing there is that you're always served with something a little different.
If the wind has any North in it, don't go to West Dennis, Chapin would be the call.

I've had fabulous days at Nahant, but often, the wind doesn't reach there when it does other places. iwindsurf has removed their sensor, so now driving there blind to the local conditions has gotten pretty sketchy, it's too bad because the waves conditions there can be epic! Just a crap shoot, and plenty of skunked sessions.

On the R.I. front there is a lot to explore. Wind is sketchier than the Cape, but when it's truly nuking on the Cape, I'll opt for the better wave conditions due to the huge fetch R.I. has to offer in a West wind. Favorite spot is actually just over the Mass border -- Horseneck Beach in Westport Mass. Matunick I hear is good, still waiting for the right day to hit it. There's a secret spot in Little Compton that totally rocks in a South or South East. Beach access is somewhat private, but often, when the weather's stinky, no one cares.

Hope to see you on the water -- I'm dying today, blowing 30 and I gotta woik!
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this is very useful: Dorchester, Nahant are close to Boston. Should we just assume that every sensor on iwindsurf hides a launch? I'll just remove Logan from the list

From your comments, the "fan" is rather unpredictable around here and need to keep the full quiver at hand for nuking<->schlogging conditions... Just looked right now and the Cape looks Awesome! SE this afternoon and SW tonight... a good solid 25-30+ out there Smile ... I guess I have to invest in a Big board for these days and be careful about wind shutting off suddenly (also need to invest into a dry suit for Spring& Fall)

As far as staying stoked about windsurfing... Trust me, I am... after these 3 years living 10 minutes away from Coyote Point, SF Bay...Totally spoiled I was with this reliable (on the clock!) 18-22mph thermal wind EVERYDAY from June to October... Looking forward to bump into sailors at these Bostonian launches after work this summer
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocorvez, although the winds looked good through the media here on the Cape, yesterday, you probably would have been well advised to have been very careful about sailing. I saw a heavy fog that covered Vineyard Sound and adjacent waters at mid-day. Cape winds are not predictable enough to warrant a drive from Boston on reports. You are right, one should venture out to the beach prepared for a wide variety of conditions.
windwardpartners

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this link (within iWindsurf) for info on Quincy - Hull areas (for some reason included only under Site Info for Hull YC).

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=195&siteID=103&Isection=Local+Info
alex177

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: 22+ SW at PB Reply with quote

It's blowing 22+ SW right now in Pleasure Bay. Anyone going today?
jsampiero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a guide to Cape sailing sites that's chock full of info:

http://iwavesolutions.com/ccwa/ccwg/guide/

It's somewhat dated, so access/facilities/entry fees may be inaccurate, but directions and launch info should remain similar.

The Cape can be a GREAT place to sail - but it's tough to be beat Horseneck for wave sailing. Outer Cape wave sailing can be epic, but tough - and it's very rare that you get a nice sideshore breeze, from my memory. I think I only caught it decent once...

I also hardly consider West Dennis a wave spot. On one 4.7 day, there was a little bit of a bump there, but not much.
bigairhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicharlie wrote:
It's amazing that nobody has mentioned Nahant here. It used to be the most popular sailing site in the Boston area.

You just did but you knew that when you started the thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: