myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing around boston
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt007

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: windsurfing around boston Reply with quote

I will be moving to the Boston area in the beginning of July and will probably end up living somewhere between Lexington and Newton. From looking at the Massachusetts Coast Windsurfing website, it appears that Pleasure Bay and Nahant are the closest windsurfable beaches to Boston. From reading a recent post, I saw that there are some restrictions to sailing Pleasure Bay in the summer. Given that, are Boston sailors in the summer pretty much restricted to Nahant? Are there some other sailing possibilities relatively near the Boston area?
npiankov

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P-bay is still a good place to sail. The bay itself is great and you can get there after 6pm or when the weather is really "bad" - like 25mph winds! Very Happy

If you get there before 6, you can sail on the outside. You have to deal with boats, both parked and moving, but it's still not a bad place. The best thing about it is that it works in most winds.
scooper

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live west of boston. P Bay is 20 minutes away but I'm not sure about getting good wind there in the summer. I just started going there this year, mostly because I can sail there after dark. Duxbury is 45 minutes and I think it often gets better wind, Nahant 45 minutes probably same wind as P Bay, although different kind of conditions. The Cape is 1 1/2 to 2 hours and gets the best summer winds, by far, due to thermals. Fogland in R.I. 1 1/4 hours gets some thermal action too. Any other thoughts from other Boston sailors out there?
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Boston sites Reply with quote

Are you interested in wave sailing or flat water? Wave sailing sites would include Nantasket Beach in Hull, Green Harbor on the Marshfield-Duxbury line, these are good in NorthEast Winds. Horseneck Beach in Westport on the Rhode Island border is amazing in W, SW, SE, and E. Summertime is dicey for parking and they restrict sailing because of beach goers. West Dennis Beach on the Cape is an old standby, accessible year around, offers flat water on the inside, waves on the outside, most reliable wind -- near where they want to install the offshore wind farm.

Jean
alex177

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, what do you mean by "inside" at West Dennis beach? Is it a small muddy pond off the parking lot?

BTW, does anybody know if there is any public access (with parking) to Lewis Bay besides sailing there from Kalmus?

--alex
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: More? Reply with quote

I am eager to absorb ALL of this Bostonian launch area knowledge... Just moved myself a month ago from the SF bay area and looks like very different conditions as might need to think big in term of sails/boards.

Please keep posting. What about Boston area lakes for blasting around? I'll also be living near around Newton and saw some lake sensors on IW... Any good windy lakes around here? Thanks, O.

PS: I can share my knowledge regarding the SF Area launches, if needed
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: More? Reply with quote

ocorvez wrote:
PS: I can share my knowledge regarding the SF Area launches, if needed

Don't forget that oath of secrecy you took before your departure Wink

mo
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quanapowit is the Boston area lake that gets some windsufing traffic. I used to sail there regularly but got tired of the up and down lake winds. Even when the wind was howling it would be full of holes there, as you would expect for most small inland lakes.

We've had a pretty bad stretch for weekend winds this spring, at least I have. Of my last 7 days on the water only 1 has had good solid wind- 0ver 20. I'm starting to get grouchy around the house. The light wind freestyle thing is fun occasionaly, just not when it's the majority of my sailing. Sad

http://waterloggedbyscooper.blogspot.com
ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winds have also been light on the outer cape for almost 2 weeks.

2 Great Days of surfing this weekend have made me forget about sailing for now!!!

tx, RC
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't forget that oath of secrecy you took before your departure

Ouch! I had forgotten that oath Mo... but need to trade some knowledge in order to get ripping in this new part of the US. So... I should not tell the world that www.teamcoyote.net is an awesome web site? with loads of information about the SF Bay?

I already "probed" and learned that a 135+L and a 9.0 might be a good investment... I am salivating in front of the Kona and dream of that JP Super Sport to replace my SuperX

As far as the recent comments read here: I am glad to read that the current conditions have been EXCEPTIONALLY poor. I will assume that the REAL wind will soon be back (soon?) and that Lake might be a good after work option... O.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: