myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rio Vista
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikrtolica wrote
Quote:
nasal gonorrhea

That's a new one, does the CDC know about this?? Maybe they can
suggest a protective rubber nose device.
salty-skin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Access vs. County Park Reply with quote

There's a bit of confusion over what site the access is. As the levee road dips down off the levee and runs for a short bit down in the lee of the road, just as it turns back up onto the levee there is a left hand turn onto a dirt road. That leads to a mown grassy area, that is the Access. To launch from the access, walk up the hill over the levee road and there is an old sandbag launch over the rocks. I sailed here last Saturday, and while it's a nice spot, it's not the easiest place to sail here because the sandbag launch has not been maintained recently. I'd say it's a bit more difficult that 3rd ave, but not as difficult as coyote to get into the water. Also, it's a very narrow spot to sail back to to get out of the water (this is more difficult when the water level is high because you have to swim back to the launch if you don't hit it just right).

The county park is the easiest spot to launch from IMHO. You just stay on the levee road and go past the access, straight ahead into the park past the iron ranger. Park where you can see the water, or just past the beach area on the road. They charge $4. Be sure to give the bridge toll worker your 20 and ask for singles back. I've only seen a ranger once, and I hadn't paid (back then I didn't pay very often), and the ranger was NOT a nice guy. I'd recommend paying the iron ranger in case they make their rounds. Nice sandy broad beach, just upwind of the Access, so if you want to sail the larger chop at the access, just take a broad reach across the river and you'll be there. It's an easy point back up to the beach (about once across and back again even on my slalom gear and 26 cm speed fin) regardless of the "current".

I never pay much attention to the current, but then I never pay attention to the tides in the bay except at Palo Alto. If it's windy, I just sail it. If it looks questionable, slap on a bigger fin or sail. When launching from the beach, walk upwind, and way to the left side of the beach. You need to clear the rocks marked by some flags and poles on the right hand side. If you get a third across the river and aren't planing, turn around and get back to the beach, or to the access to walk out and rig bigger.

I've sailed there a lot in the past couple years, and haven't hit those 4.5 days but once or twice, with lots of great 5.5 and 6.5 days in between. I do get skunked occasionally (past Monday) but most days there is sailable wind.

The beach area has lots of beginners and people learning freestyle, along with kids playing occasionally (there were 4 kids in the water Sunday, including two with me). So take it easy on the way back in and pay attention.
bowen1

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Access vs. County Park Reply with quote

adelbalso wrote:
There's a bit of confusion over what site the access is. As the levee road dips down off the levee and runs for a short bit down in the lee of the road, just as it turns back up onto the levee there is a left hand turn onto a dirt road. That leads to a mown grassy area, that is the Access. To launch from the access, walk up the hill over the levee road and there is an old sandbag launch over the rocks. I sailed here last Saturday, and while it's a nice spot, it's not the easiest place to sail here because the sandbag launch has not been maintained recently. I'd say it's a bit more difficult that 3rd ave, but not as difficult as coyote to get into the water. Also, it's a very narrow spot to sail back to to get out of the water (this is more difficult when the water level is high because you have to swim back to the launch if you don't hit it just right).

The county park is the easiest spot to launch from IMHO. You just stay on the levee road and go past the access, straight ahead into the park past the iron ranger. Park where you can see the water, or just past the beach area on the road. They charge $4. Be sure to give the bridge toll worker your 20 and ask for singles back. I've only seen a ranger once, and I hadn't paid (back then I didn't pay very often), and the ranger was NOT a nice guy. I'd recommend paying the iron ranger in case they make their rounds. Nice sandy broad beach, just upwind of the Access, so if you want to sail the larger chop at the access, just take a broad reach across the river and you'll be there. It's an easy point back up to the beach (about once across and back again even on my slalom gear and 26 cm speed fin) regardless of the "current".

I never pay much attention to the current, but then I never pay attention to the tides in the bay except at Palo Alto. If it's windy, I just sail it. If it looks questionable, slap on a bigger fin or sail. When launching from the beach, walk upwind, and way to the left side of the beach. You need to clear the rocks marked by some flags and poles on the right hand side. If you get a third across the river and aren't planing, turn around and get back to the beach, or to the access to walk out and rig bigger.

I've sailed there a lot in the past couple years, and haven't hit those 4.5 days but once or twice, with lots of great 5.5 and 6.5 days in between. I do get skunked occasionally (past Monday) but most days there is sailable wind.

The beach area has lots of beginners and people learning freestyle, along with kids playing occasionally (there were 4 kids in the water Sunday, including two with me). So take it easy on the way back in and pay attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: