myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Car camping, Hood River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Find a Campground Reply with quote

forwards wrote:
as a wknder who sleeps in a van do not buy into the suggestion that I find a campground.

By the time I got de-rigged, rinsed off, and fed in my self-contained van, the sun had set and the coastal fog was like milk. I had no choice but to just go to sleep in the Newport/Agate Beach PUBLIC parking lot. Before midnight a cop rousted me and ordered me to move on and find a campground despite my protest that we couldn't see 10 feet. I drove for 20-30 minutes until I presumed I was outside the city limits, found room to park my van off the highway, and went back to sleep. Had no clue where I was except off the highway. By daylight, it turned out to be some small business parking lot. The cops don't care that most campgrounds are packed by noon in the summer; they have their orders.

\m/
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: car camping Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: car camping Reply with quote

tetiaroaxx wrote:
isobars, you're spilling too much info!

Crap! Here I thought I was being pretty cryptic. Let me rephrase, then . . .
THERE'S NO LONGER ANY WILD CAMPING IN THE GORGE.

Howzatt? Wink

\m/
forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Places I've been evicted from in HR Reply with quote

Rather than suggest where to stay, how bout a list of where the man is known to patrol and where we have been evicted. These spots around HR come to mind:

-- the hook
-- I84 eastbound rest-area across from bingen
-- sandpit, and pull-offs along the access road
-- bingen industrial area near bingen marina
-- the HR marina
-- courtney road, E of bingen (permanently gated now)
-- gravel road below windance along the river

Maybe I really am white trash like "big daddy" on the old hatchcam used to suggest when he and I argued about this topic when my handle was "walmart-guy".
Robray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind paying for camping Shocked if it doesn't suck. For the past few years it seems Tucker has turned into a dust bowl, or maybe it's just that we've given up RVing and gone back to tenting.

Hood River could use a few new privately owned campsites, I don't think there's been any new ones in the 18 years we've been going to The Gorge.

Bring back the Wind Ranch!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robray wrote:
I don't mind paying for camping Shocked if it doesn't suck.

Lessee . . . 2,000 nights (at least by the time we retire and get serious about windsurfing) @ $20 a night . . . yup, that'll buy a nice RV. Now add the convenience of not having to commit to a campground by noon (by April at some campgrounds), sailing until 9:30 PM, sleeping where you sail, getting back on the water before the sun and mob hit it the next morning, and the peace and quiet rare in campgrounds. When the wind's that good, $20 a night is $4-$5 an hour; that's expensive sleep!

Crap. With that level of effort and TOW, you'd think I'd be a better freaking sailor! Oh, well, I have fun . . . LOTS of fun.

\m/
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey isobars, what wi-fi are you using from down-there? hrbase3?

Do you have high-gain antenna?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetiaroaxx wrote:
Hey isobars, what wi-fi are you using from down-there? hrbase3? Do you have high-gain antenna?

I'm not that computer-bound. My needs (weather data, an occasional phone call)) are met pretty well with my pocket PC (Cingular 8125). When I feel the (rare) need to log onto the net via laptop I just connect the phone to the computer via cable or wireless and I'm online with 5 bars. I very seldom even take my laptop to the Gorge.

\m/
slynch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was free-camping at an unspecified location near the corridor when a Washington state trooper drove in and asked how I was doing. After replying that everything was fine, I asked if it was alright to camp here. His reply was "It's no problem as far as I'm concerned".

Perhaps the authorities on the Washington side are more lenient.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
Can't see how some discreet campers are going to hurt anything.

-Local gal

DISCREET is the operative word here! I'd guess at least 90% of the problems associated with "people sleeping overnight in vehicles" is the lack of discretion and sheer stupidity. I've spent many nights "camped" in WM lots all over the western US - with absolutely no problem. But I've observed some outrageous "kooks" setting up patio furniture, carpet, umbrellas, etc right next to the vehicle. Then there's the pet lovers walking their dog(s) around the parameter of the lot, etc.

I don't claim to be a rocket scientist, but I do have some (un)common sense. When I park, I don't leave the vehicle (except to enter the WM store) and I'm self-contained to do all my "business" inside my RV.

My goal is to be the "invisible man" - minding my own business and being as discreet as possible. Anyone not aware or not running with the same MO should be staying in a "formal" campground where they can let it all hang out! Nuff said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: