myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit: how long will it last if never rinse w fresh water?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Wetsuit: how long will it last if never rinse w fresh water? Reply with quote

Out of cleverness, lazyness, or something else, we all probably know someone who, after windsurfing, just hangs up their wetsuit to dry. No hosing it off, no taking it in the shower. Do they pay a high price for this?

...Of course you are SUPPOSED to rinse it with fresh water. Clearly you'll get a longer life out of the wetsuit that way. But, let's hear some people's experiences. Considering how busy many of us are, if we could get 2 solid years out of a wetsuit without hosing it off after sailing...that might be worth it (less lifespan, but less hassle = worth it?)

George

photo_jack1950s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.28 KB
 Viewed:  14055 Time(s)

photo_jack1950s.jpg

Jrobb

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rinse mine maybe once every 10 sessions. I sail saltwater 99.3 % of the time with a smattering in freshwater (delta so not completely fresh) 5 or 6 times per year. I generally get 15 days per month and am now in my third year with an Aleeda suit. The only seams giving way are the armpits have a small thumb size hole.

J
carl

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped rincing wetsuits, sails and everything else about 8 years ago
and never looked back. Everything seems to last just as long, no difference in rubber degradation, corrosion or monofilm. Hours saved in a year is significant too. I also always sail salt water, about 100 sessions a year. I don't know where this saltwater myth got started, probably because the zippers would salt up and freeze shut when they would only use them once a month (and hang them in the sun to dry out). UV exposure from the sun is what really degrades the rubber.
scooper

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: no rinse Reply with quote

I sail about once a week, 9 or 10 months a year and almost never rinse anything but myself. I have noticed sail windows getting a little cloudy, not sure if thats from salt. I don't think it affects the longevity of the wet/drysuits. It's gotta affect the oder, but I don't mind that.
duracell

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wash sails that I don't use that often plus I wash sails at the end of the season (with soap water).
If very hot and sails are covered with salt I spray a bit of water on them and then use a window cleaner attached to a stick to remove the water. Process takes seconds, uses very little water (have a little pump spray bottle (5 litres capacity, use maybe 1ltr per sail)). The results are very good. Sails are really see through and last longer. I use mine more often, harder and longer than anybody else at the beach but mine last longer too. Salt&Salt do tend to help time nag at things.
I 've noticed that if the salt dries on the sails in the sun (warm hot breeze == seconds) it poses the greatest threat to the sails. Salt gets "baked" onto surface. Wet sails with salt I don't wash off, that doesn't seem to hurt them.

I sail around 8 months a year, 20 days a month (or more)
scooper

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duracell- 20 days a month?! Man, I'm jealous. How do you get so much free time?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Wetsuit Reply with quote

C'mon, in a sport where each sail costs 500bux, boards over 1g, booms 550bux, masts 300bux, extensions 100bux, bases 75bux, harness 125bux, missed work 1000's of bux, divorce from excessive windsurfing 100,000's bux, trips to Maui 1000's, WHO CARES HOW LONG A WETSUIT lasts , its the least of your financial concerns.
mwilly

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an O'neill 3/2 wetsuit that's 13 years old and still in use (fabric covered neoprene so its pretty durable). This wetsuit got very faded after a week in the sun at Lake Arenal 6 years ago but its still holding up pretty well for how old it is.

I was fanatical about rinsing all my gear with fresh water after every session when I started ~14 years ago. About 10 years ago I got tired of the extra work and haven't rinsed anything since. I always sail in salt water and have not noticed any difference.
peterk123

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifteen years and counting. Rinsing? Now why would anyone do that? It will just get it wet again and never dry!
uchida

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I rinse the salt water off my equipment is so it doesn't get in the bed of my truck. Living by the ocean is really hard on vehicles to begin with. No sense hastening the process. Remember, rust never sleeps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: