myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Rigging Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A revisit to my favorite subject. I agree with the philososphy that the "what are you rigging" question is another way of saying how ya doing?.
NOT ALWAYS
Yday at Crissy after getting out of the water at 5ish, and most people just going in, a dude assaults me on the beach with rapid fire what were you on, how many liters etc etc. I told him, and he said "really" , "were you planing" , and kept drilling me while not beleiving my answers. Then one minute later another joker did the same thing and started telling me his life story about what he sails in what conditions, with extraordi nary detail.

I love this little nuance about Crissy sailing.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Crissy thing. Sometimes 3rd too. Cause you can't exactly see what's going on near the N. Tower or Channel (3rd) from the beach. Unlike Sherman, Berkeley, PI, etc... Also, lot's at stake, the least of which is will you have fun or not.

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve..I agree, its the questioning of the facts i just gave the inquiring soul on the beach that i love.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: What are you rigging? Reply with quote

For racers, it is to be sure that we know what we are testing against our training partner. It covers not just sails, but fins. But at the end of all of that, I say, make your own mistakes, not someone elses.

Mac
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: What are you rigging? Reply with quote

For racers, it is to be sure that we know what we are testing against our training partner. It covers not just sails, but fins. But at the end of all of that, I say, make your own mistakes, not someone elses.

Mac
windwiner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole post is really quite sad. Are we really at the point in our sport where people are just to cool to talk to each other at the beach? Sure windsurfing is a solo sport, but it used to be a social activity. You used to be able to hang out at the local shops, talk story, watch videos, talk to people at the beach, actually smile at people on the water, and then share a few beers in the parking lot after your session. Half the people on the water these days look angry (either that or they're taking a dump in their wetsuits). Seriously this is a FUN sport, share the stoke. I bet if more people were friendly on and off the water people would enjoy their sailing sessions more and the sense of community would also improve the everyday sailor’s skills, because when you sail with friends you tend to push yourself and your skills and that makes you better. Go ahead give me grief if you want, but I've been sailing for a long time now from Hawaii to South Africa and lots of places in between and I am always happy to talk about windsurfing whether it's with buddies over beers or strangers looking for some advice on what to rig.
D-wo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mean response: I knew a sailor who would always respond to that question with, "well, how long have you been sailing." When the person want defensively answer that they had been sailing for many years he would reply, "then you should know what size sail to rig."

On the other side of the coin, Dana Miller always (used to at least) put a sign up in his van listing his weight, his sail size and his experience level.

I think it is a proper question for sailors who are new to a particular site (and a good ice breaker as someone said earlier) It becomes a bit rote when the same people you sail with every day continually ask you what you are rigging. At that point they should come up with a new question.

Personally, I don't mind answering the question. However when people scoff that I'm rigging I try to inform them that I weigh a lot more than they do and, for some reason, they never seem to believe me. For the record I weigh 230

jse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windwiner wrote:
Half the people on the water these days look angry (either that or they're taking a dump in their wetsuits).

Not sure where you're seeing that. Perhaps what you are seeing is determined looks due to challenging conditions. I know it's hard for me to smile when I'm pounding the voodoo chop at Crissy or struggling to crank upwind against a flood at Sherman. Probably grimacing when I do that. But back on the beach, it's all smiles and good times.

Now, you want to see some angst, check out the kite forums, especially NW. Seems like they are always bitching about who launched where, what site's access is being threatened, who boosted too close to the beach. As that sport gets more popular, it's only going to get worse.

Steve
windwiner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Not sure where you're seeing that. Perhaps what you are seeing is determined looks due to challenging conditions. I know it's hard for me to smile when I'm pounding the voodoo chop at Crissy or struggling to crank upwind against a flood at Sherman.]
I sail mostly at Crissy and then Coyote and then Sherman, most of the ditch digger faces are at Crissy. I'm sure you’re right that those faces are looks of determination; I just don’t think that the conditions are that challenging to not be showing signs of enjoyment. To be honest I can’t help but to smile when I am sailing. As for the kiters I think that their priorities are a little out of wack to begin with, not that I want to start another us vs. them discussion but I just don’t get the behavior of the majority of the people I see at local beaches. Anyway had a great session at Coyote yesterday even though I put a little buckle in my favorite board (cracked the starboard rail just behind the mast track) what a bummer. I'm still smiling though. See you on the water.
[/quote]
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windwiner wrote:
...Anyway had a great session at Coyote yesterday...I'm still smiling though.

Yesterday was a classic Coyote day...and it was warm. What a combination!

Smiles all around. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: