myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Rigging Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terryg11

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: If I really, really want to know...I look at the sail Reply with quote

(Phil McGain's standard response when asked is to tell guys he's rigging something about a meter or two smaller than he really is.)
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rig up with Phil next to us in maui and he is a dedicated racer. So, he rigs way bigger than me even though I out weigh him by a little. He is on a very small board, small racer fin and a very big sail downhalled to the max. absolutely tight in the lower part, although not flat, and very luffed out above. He might rig a 6-8 when I'm on a 5-4. But they do rig smaller when I go to a 4-7 or smaller, they might get down to a 5-0 or 5-5, but thats in cranking winds. So no, I don't ask him what he's rigging, although again I am not interested in hearing from anyone under 200 pounds what they are on. It's a different sport for guys over 200. However I do try to be very friendly and take a lot of time with people who have never been to a spot before. I agree skiiers are often too cool to talk.
carl

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil is a very serious businessman in the windsurf business, just
trying to make a buck. He runs the R&D for Maui Sails so he's
working while he's sailing and rigging too. His serious side at the beach does put off vacationing sailors, cause they are there to have fun and don't apreciate an unfriendly serious attitude.
As Beallmd said, Phil is a serious racer too and race sails require a lot
of R&D. Being a top racer requires alot of training and dedication too.
What he hasn't learned yet is that the kook rigging next to him is a
potential future customer. He definatly could take a lesson from
Dave Ezzy in that reguard, one of the nicest guys on the beach.
sergem

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, David Ezzy has answered several of my e-mails couple of years ago. Got me some relevant info, too. I bought Ezzy Inifinity 6.6, as a result? not sure, but attitude matters.
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to say Phil is unfriendly-He's definatly not. But he is a fairly serious guy as carl said. It's just that what the racers are doing is completely different. Recently they opened a "wave division" at the maui race series for us normal people. Then you would use a typical sized wave sail and general use board. Phil and Micah and these guys are serious and busy, but friendly and well worth watching.
kstonemd

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Live Wind Crissy Wind Cam Reply with quote

We now have a live wind cam at Crissy so you can know everyone's sail size before you leave home... www.stoneclinic.com/cam

Hope you find it useful.

The Team at The Stone Clinic
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl - I do admit to having a bad Crissy attitude, the place really does get under my skin.

I am always taken aback how many people get picked up by the coast guard for no reason, hence over abundance of radio carriers.

There is little to no reason to get picked up by the coast guard. If you can't swim in from where you are at then you are out of your comfort zone and are putting yourself and others at risk.

Aside from breaking down in front of a container ship you shouldn't have to call, I am sure the USCG have much better things to do.

I don't mind the surfer attitude too much. In the line up and in the waves you have to earn respect..

Oh well...
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Crissy USCG Reply with quote

The Coast Guard is employed for the people , by the people. Whether your're a sailor, fisherman, windsurfer, kiter, swimmer, etc etc, everyone is eligible to be picked up or saved by the USCG in the SF Bay. Our tax dollars pay their tab, and helping in trouble is their #1 priority , after protecting the waters. dont feel guilty if you snap a mast at the NTower and need a lift.
girsang

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Crissy Rigging Question Reply with quote

This is my 7th season windsurfing. The first two seasons I asked everyone I could (or just peeked at) what sail they rigged to get a consensus. In the third and fourth season I learned that my 220+ lbs. means I should be on a much larger sail than everyone else. I also learned that board size, shape, fin, and ability are also huge factors. So I was still asking, but only to know that what everyone else was rigging was probably too small for me. In the last few seasons I almost never ask or look, I usually know before I park the car.

But if someone asks me, I'm happy to answer.

Regarding the Coast Guard, I was caught once when the wind died and I was merrily swimming towards shore when the big red boat pulled up. I told them I was fine and that they should look for others who were farther out. They practically insisted that I get on the boat and once on board they asked me a few questions for their records. Basically the answers to those questions justify their being out there. Prior to that incident I too had the attitude that they should only be used for emergencies. But they gave me the sense that they are there to prevent emergencies. In other words, they'd rather pick up a swimmer than a drowner.

Everytime the wind dies, they appear out of nowhere. The reason is that they are trying to get there before anyone needs to call.
blake64

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the water can be deceptive, so I also check iWindsurf on my cellphone and usually get the sail size nailed that way. There are variables, of course..waves, choppy or flat water. I check the tide on my phone too.

That said, "what sail size you riggin?" really is no big deal, it's just our version of: what's up dawg? or how's it hangin'?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: