myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Rigging Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I with the first post on here.

Some kook always manages to ask, what are you rigging?? then says wow you'll be overpowered. He's 150 in a helmet, seven flares, radio and water backpack. Me 210 lbs. slight difference...

Maybe I should suggest having a stroll up to fort point and asking what size surf board someone is going out with, that will be a winner.

Guess that goes with Sherman when I am in boardies and half the drew are in full suits, booties...

On the coast nobody ever seems to ask!
coachg

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us do not hail from Nome, Alaska. Those of us with Hawaiian blood wear a full wetsuit up to, and including 70 degrees. Yeah, I see other guys in shorties when I'm in a full wet suit, but there is a trade off. During the really hot days I don't have to worry about remembering the sun screen, while those cold water macho guys look like red lobsters. I've never had a sunburn before, but it sure looks like it hurts. Embarassed

Coachg
lsb

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Santa Cruz, I always ask folks (mostly the girls) what they're on. The difference is, I know all of them. So if Marianne is happy on 4.2, I'm happy on 4.2. Great reference point!

I don't think it works with strangers...

Lisa.
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epenrose wrote:
Quote:

Maybe I should suggest having a stroll up to fort point and asking what size surf board someone is going out with, that will be a winner.

Ed, It's ok to be nice to other people now, you're among windsurfers!
Leave that high school surfer attitude at the door and enjoy life, it's way too short for that needless kind of stress. There's pleanty of wind for everybody, even helmet wearing, radio carrying kooks like myself. (BTW believe it, that radio comes in handy when you're floatin' out the gate!!)
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was at third one day when a tall red haired guy who I'm pretty sure was a racer -don't kow his name; maybe you do> I think he worked at windsurf wherehouse in south san. Anyway someone was starting to ask what he had on and he just immediately burst out with, "6-0, 95 liters, 210 pounds." he said it as if it was one word. I laughed at that one!
jse

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's my standard response. Sail size, board displacement and weight. Name rank and serial number. It pretty much gives the person asking all the information they need. Plus, I rig really fast. I'm usually the wind-dummy, even if I get there after other's have started rigging.

I think you shouldn't read too much in the question. If you were to ask someone at Squaw something about their skis or snowboard, half of them would tell you to F#*% off. Just be glad this is a sport where everyone's your friend.

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Rig it up Reply with quote

great point Jse. at Squaw on a pow day, in line at KT, its agro -central.
dinoman8

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Rigging 101 question... Reply with quote

For any of you that can remember the late 80's , pre I windsurf.com, almost pre-cell phone addicitions, their used to be a payphone in the parking loy of Crissy Field... That thing would ring and one of us would run to get it!!! The #1 question!!!! "Dude what's it blowing, or what are you sailing!! NOTHING CHANGES.....
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Rig it Reply with quote

Hey , easy Carl. easy. Not annoying, just puzzling . Im with Dinoman.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is whenever I ask the question to somebody I don't know, I always get a nice and polite response and most times it starts a bried conversation about the conditions we will be sailing on. I also have to say I don't ask in places I windsurf on a regular basis, places where I can guess the windspeed by looking at the water, it's more about those places I don't usually sail or that are new to me. If there is one thing that I hate about windsurfing is coming in to rig smaller or bigger, it's a waste of TOW that sometimes can be avoided by simply asking this question and looking at the guy on the water. Does it make me less cool or look like a beginner? wtf do I care?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: