myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
bethany reservoir windsurfing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfskimd

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: bethany reservoir windsurfing. Reply with quote

just moved to livermore. Anyone know anything about sailing Bethany reservoir. (launches, conditions, what wind conditions work best, typical sail sizes, season). I remember hearing something about the place about 5 or 10 years ago, but havent heard anything lately. Any help?. Thanks Dave
coachg

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
Bethany is jibe city. It is a very small lake, probably less than 100 yards winde, tucked away near the town of Byron. I hope I spelled that right? When ever the windmills on the Altamont pass are moving, there is wind on the lake. Usually all summer long. Very windy, so bring 4.0 to 5.0, but you are better off driving a little extra and going to Sherman Island or Lake Del Valle for bigger gear(7-8 meter sail and 130 L board). Bethany's a great place to learn to waterstart or practice jibing because you have to jibe evey 4-5 seconds. If you go to Del Valle, bring only one board because they charge you per board. Really sucks.

Coachg
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coach G; I knew you would have a good response on that location. I used to live in redding and we sailed at black butte by Chico or Orland. It howls there on a north valley wind usually this time of year, especially after a cold front passes and sets up around Vegas. Do you or did you go there sometimes? I remember folks coming up from south. Usually enter lake on north side, not at the dam or boat ramp. If chico forecast is for 15-25 north wind; it may be worth a trip north in the springtime.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd,
No I have not sailed at Black Butte, but I have heard good things about it. For me that is a minimum 2 hour drive. Kind of a long way to go when I have Folsom, 35 min, and can get to Thermalito in a little over 1 hour. If I lived in Redding I would sail there quite a bit I'm sure. My free time to travel is usually in the summer, not a good time for Black Butte.

Coachg
Jrobb

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of Bethany, is Clifton Court Forebay open to windsurfing use? Any good winds there if it is?

J
blake64

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for mentioning Bethany Reservoir. I sailed there in college years and years ago. Slept in the car, but didn't get much sleep. Damn windy Actually would be a great place to go to nail down the jibes.

It's one of those places that no one ever mentions but if you live nearby, or if you're on your way up the learning curve, it's a cool place to have. Seriously, I know it's limited, but think about it: if you owned a big piece of land.. wouldn't it be a fantasy to have a tiny lake / big pool like Bethany to go play in for 10 minutes here and there. It's on the scale of what a person could have on their property. Better than a pool table. Better than a ping pong table. Most people might laugh that it's so damn limited, and I know I'm being absurf here but hell, I'd like a Bethany next to my house even more than the front lawn to mow or whatever it is I have on my property.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: