myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kayak in 3rd Ave Channel yesterday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Kayak in 3rd Ave Channel yesterday Reply with quote

Did anyone else see the ocean kayaker heading down wind at a fast clip yesterday in the channel at 3rd, at about 7:15pm? In the huge waves at the time, he was hard to see until one was almost upon him. It would have been equivalent to an easy class 3 rapid I suppose.

Rod
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: ka-yackers on the bay Reply with quote

I've seen (what I hope to be ) experienced and well equiped kayakers going down wind from SF to Berkeley, north of Treasure Island. Looks like fun. (But not as much fun as winsurfing.)

As more paddlers (as I believe they like to call themselves) advance in the sport, I suppose we will see more of them doing cross-bay runs.

-Tom
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the swells in the channel off 3rd on Tuesday -- with the extraordinary wind at the time -- that kayaker must have been super-elite in the sport.

A knee-jerk reaction would be "that guy was INSANE" -- but if that was all he was, he wouldn't have made it! It can be very difficult to control even the little wave kayaks even in moderate wind.

WOW. Shocked
vadler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how big were the swell on Tuesday? So bummed I missed it. Thought it wouldn't be all that due to the flood.
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was 35g40 out in the channel about that time (7:15). Very up and down (the wind) that day...but it was strong all afternoon so those swells were building despite the flood. I wasn't out TUE but I was out WED in the same conditions and while it wasn't Steamer Lane (thank God! packed with one surfer per square foot, can you imagine?)...the swells were on.

I wouldn't be bummed that you missed up-and-down TUE, though, because as you know an average ebb day with good strong wind will create even better conditions than that on a regular basis out in the channel off 3rd Ave (& Coyote)! We have plenty more of that to come this season...

George
vadler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was two years ago this week that produced Big Sunday at 3rd. 35mph starting early in the day and the swell reached logo+ in the channel. I have been jonesing for that ever since. Thought that maybe it happened during the flood on Tuesday. I suppose that I could always go to the coast, but I'd get clobbered in the break, and I'm too lazy to drive the 75 minutes.
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vadler wrote:
It was two years ago this week that produced Big Sunday at 3rd. 35mph starting early in the day and the swell reached logo+ in the channel. I have been jonesing for that ever since. Thought that maybe it happened during the flood on Tuesday. I suppose that I could always go to the coast, but I'd get clobbered in the break, and I'm too lazy to drive the 75 minutes.

Logo-plus? Puh-lease! Didn't happen...

Btw, they are swells in the channel, not waves. They're only waves if they break on a beach.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Wrote:
Quote:
Btw, they are swells in the channel, not waves. They're only waves if they break on a beach.

Ed,, you really should look up the definitions in the dictionary!!
They look interchangable according to Webster.
Here I'll do it for you:

Main Entry: 2swell
Function: noun
1 : a long often massive and crestless wave or succession of waves often continuing beyond or after its cause (as a gale)

Main Entry: 2wave
Function: noun
1 a : a moving ridge or swell on the surface of a liquid (as of the sea) b : open water

As for "logo high" at 3rd: where is this "logo"? Most logos are right above the boom these days, maybe 6-7ft? It easily can get 6-7ft or more at Coyote when it's blowing 35Kts.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
As for "logo high" at 3rd: where is this "logo"? Most logos are right above the boom these days, maybe 6-7ft? It easily can get 6-7ft or more at Coyote when it's blowing 35Kts.

Carl speaks the truth.
Shocked

mo
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I've got a logo at the foot of my sail and I've definitely seen swell over that!

Seriously, I doubt it was logo (meaning 10'), which we often get on the coast. The biggest I've seen at 3rd was a Superbowl Sunday in 2003. I was out there all alone on a 3.7 and it was over a 2 knot ebb. I don't care how great the game was, it was better in the channel. I'd say peaking at just overhead (about 6') in the best sections. And no they aren't breaking waves, but you can still rides them.

btw - a wave can break over an outside reef without breaking on the beach. Jaws does not break on the beach, but it breaks pretty hard just the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: