myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Carlos for novice wave sailors, aug,sept, october?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
untwed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: San Carlos for novice wave sailors, aug,sept, october? Reply with quote

HI,
A friend and I are thinking seriously about going to san carlos for some waves. We're not very experienced and also heard it would be a good place to advance our wave skills. Is aug/sep/oct ok for novice wave sailors? When would be best?

thanks,
ken
Rube

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: perfect location for learning to wave sail Reply with quote

Yes!

I went on a similar 2 week trip a few years ago in September. I was also wanting to learn wave sailing without getting too schooled. We sailed 5.0 to 5.8 sail sizes, all on my 85L wave board (I'm 175lbs), although I was wanting something floatier on the lighter days. We sailed every day- you need a wetsuit (I used a worn out 4/3) - likely you could get away with a 3/2 but the wind is side-off so be breakdowns mean you're in the water a long time unless the fishermen pick you up. It also wasn't crowded when we we were there - plenty of waves for all.

As far as timing goes, I hear that spring is the windyest, < 5.0M common, summer, and autumn are lighter, but you can get lucky and get the S swells which are money at the point.

Assuming you're going self-supported rather than Solo Sports style, take lots of toys - ws gear, kites, surfboards, mt bikes. That way you're loaded for bear, it it's not windy you'll have lots to do. The bike trails are great, the surfing can also be very good at the point, and there is mean to be some nice hiking up to the mesa, but we didn't get to do this.

Also take spare ws gear. You can likely trade / buy stuff down there, but it's better not to rely on that. As you no doubt know, there are no shops or services. I wrecked my 5.8, on day 2 (biggest day, logo high S swell) but we had a spare luckily. You will have to carry in all your food and water, but you can pay the fishermen to make beer runs if you are nice to them.

Have fun! Now this has me wanting to go back for a visit....

Cheers

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: