myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oyster Point... who sails there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Oyster Point... who sails there? Reply with quote

So, I've sailed Oyster Point a handful of times now... Tuesday being the most recent session. I really love that place when it goes, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the pattern for when it's going to be good. Seems to be when the wind is real westerly or WSW... maybe when Coyote and 3rd are SW at the shore? Anybody have good experience forecasting this place? My favorite days here have been just sailing the inside cove at the launch.. the water is so flat and perfect for freestyle.

BTW, sailed there Tuesday 4/24 at 5pm, and it was perfect 5.2... Sierra Pt readings were terrible, but the SFO sensor was reading in the high 20's.
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oyster Point... who sails there? Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
BTW, sailed there Tuesday 4/24 at 5pm, and it was perfect 5.2... Sierra Pt readings were terrible, but the SFO sensor was reading in the high 20's.

I think it works well when Coyote is W to slightly WSW. I've gone up to Oyster when Coyote was full on SW and found it to be no better.
Tuesday the wind was W at Coyote. I was on a 4.9.

mo
fredwinston

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when the Oyster Pnt. lot would be full of sailors and late comers would have to park in the lot behind it. Since Genetech built an additional 10 buildings it killed the wind enroute over to the airport side where the best sailing is. Since I only sail a sinker I only sail Oyster now on a basting 20-30 knt day when you can point down wind a little and power over to the wind zone. If your a smaller sailor who shloggs well or sail bigger stuff the window of good dsays is much larger. If you like to sail in the Oyster cove there look for 20+ knts when the airport is calling wid direction from 270 to 290 degree wind direction. FYI, Genetech has some closer launches that will get you to the "good stuff" without risking the long shlogg back to Oyster if the wind dies.

sailing.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  420.33 KB
 Viewed:  18808 Time(s)

sailing.JPG

kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pic! Looks windy!! I've sailed over to the airport when it's been crazy windy over there. I guess I mainly go to Oyster for the super flat water in the cove, but I also sailed some days there last fall w/ a 5.7 and 100l freestyle board when it seemed it was the only place w/ wind. Had to slog past Genentech to get to the wind, but you gotta do what you gotta do that time of year.

The tides have been pretty low lately... I checked it out on Wednesday at low tide (about a 0.00') and while there was some stuff to walk over right at the launch, I couldn't see any obstacles in the water. Is it safe to sail there on a very low tide? I think I've always sailed there w/ at least a +2 or 3' tide... water just about at the top of the rectangular concrete thing in the water just downwind of the launch ramp.

kev
aikimatt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit pissed that we chickened on the -0.5'.

Of course you know I have no clue how to forecast when the flat part will be good - or even whether it will be 5.2 or 4.7 or if I will even plane even when I am already standing there looking at the water.

Yeah some sick people like me think the good stuff is right next to the launch and don't really want to sail past the point.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>BTW, sailed there Tuesday 4/24 at 5pm, and it was perfect 5.2... Sierra Pt
>readings were terrible, but the SFO sensor was reading in the high 20's.

Sierra Point is an interesting sensor. iWindsurf's Stu Hill installed this sensor partially because the Yacht Club there made it real easy, partially because loads of yacht sailors use this offshore telemetry sensor, but also simply because this location provided an additional data point. (Hopefully not more trouble than it's worth....Wink

Clearly on certain wind directions, San Bruno Mountain blocks the Sierra Point sensor perfectly..... Some of the best blocking you'll find in that general neighborhood! -- definitely better blocking than the 49er backs get the benefit of during many games at the Stick.

George

chargers280.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.92 KB
 Viewed:  18620 Time(s)

chargers280.jpg

geohaye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all of the sensors' "Local Info" pages on iWindsurf, the Sierra Point page includes user-editable text and more. I mention this just in case there is an expert in the house who's been paying attention to this sensor's quirks...and who someday gets the urge to share the 411.

How To Find the Local Info pages?: When checking out the wind graph at your favorite sites...click the left side "Local Info" link to access these user-editable pages...

Sierra Point:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=126&siteID=1688&Isection=Local+Info

San Pablo Bay (the iW sensor near Davis Point):
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=125&siteID=1653&Isection=Local+Info

Point Isabel:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=125&Isection=Local+Info&siteID=222

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: