myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cooley's Landing in East Palo Alto
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joespeed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Cooley's Landing in East Palo Alto Reply with quote

Does anyone know if we can lauch of Cooleys Landing in East Palo Alto where Palo Alto Boat Works is ?
It would be nice to have an alternative to mud filled Palo Alto Marina Spot on low tide days
carl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: RE: Cooley's Landing in East Palo Alto Reply with quote

Ive driven and hiked all around P.A. baylands and Redwood City and the only launch I found
was the north side, frontage road next to Dumbarton Br. I think people used to sail there in the good-ol-days. Im not sure ide want to leave my car there a long time though. It looks like it could be a better spot than P.A. harbor.
I see Coolys on the map, but i have never been there. Does the road go all the way to the bay? Hows the neighborhood? E.P.A. has improved over the years.
Redwood City harbor may be a possibility too, and its deep water in the slough. I didnt find a good launch other than at the boat ramp. (we are boats, arent we? Certainly a formula looks like one!) It looks like a straight (long) reach to the bay from the boat ramp, in the typical NNW wind.

Does anyone know if to we can lauch of Cooleys Landing in East Palo Alto where Palo Alto Boat Works is ?
It would be nice to have an alternative to mud filled Palo Alto Marina Spot on low tide days
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody find any alternative windsurf launch sites over the last few years (since this message was first posted)...along the Redwood Shores-Redwood City-Palo Alto-Mountain View shoreline?

>anyone sail the north side frontage road next to Dumbarton Bridge?
>Redwood City Harbor?
>Cooley's Landing in East Palo Alto, near PA Boat Works?

George
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have launched from the east side of the Dumbarton Bridge, by driving down the road through the Don Edwards Sanctuary to the fishing pier. In past years, this has been closed through most of the WS season (May through August), but according to the http://www.fws.gov/desfbay/ site, it is open now. Still, one needs a high tide to sail there, probably at least 5 ft. However sometimes it has wind when PA does not.

Further north, Seal Point is good. Sailed there yesterday: great rigging area, complete with wind sock, and winds are midway between 3rd and Coyote. I go there on weekends when the 3rd Ave parking lot is jammed. One has to sail a mile or so out to the channel marker 8 to get good swell.

Rod
sergem

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_g_armstrong wrote:

Further north, Seal Point is good. Sailed there yesterday: great rigging area, complete with wind sock, and winds are midway between 3rd and Coyote. I go there on weekends when the 3rd Ave parking lot is jammed. One has to sail a mile or so out to the channel marker 8 to get good swell.

Rod,

Where do you park at Seal Point, how do you haul the gear (0.5 miles?)
I have seen some nice swell upwind of Seal Point, between it and Coyote Point marina, while going downwind haskins to 3rd.
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive to the top of the hill, then through the rocks and down the gravel road to the stairs. This is only about 30 yards from the rigging area. I then unload and return to the top parking lot. Obviously won't work if there's a crowd.
squirleyd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Seal Pt. Reply with quote

Small world... Rod and I sailed there yesterday.
I parked in the lot, did a Doug's Beach type gear wrap and hiked over the mtn. Why not; pre-sail warm up. Rod's method easier, but might risk ticketing and of issues with walkers(?)
BTW, needs usual NNW-NW at minimum and tide in. Was a little iffy getting out/in yesterday for me, but wind seemed more WNW at launch and Rod kinda shlogged out a bit on and off, but was then wayyy out, real quick. Nice little session. But...ooops...I meant, 'it's terrible there'
Cool

Derek D.
bright blue wagon
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_g_armstrong wrote:
I drive to the top of the hill, then through the rocks and down the gravel road to the stairs. This is only about 30 yards from the rigging area. I then unload and return to the top parking lot. Obviously won't work if there's a crowd.

Were there any rangers around when you were doing this?

r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's a bit of a gray area, but there are no signs saying you can't do it. Never seen a ranger at the top, and I've sailed there half a dozen times.

Also, back on topic, I just had a fairly good session sailing from the east side of the Dumbarton Bridge. There's a nice sandy beach under the bridge to launch from. One parks right behind the beach. As for Seal Point, there is no crowd of sailors. This time of year, the water there is tropically warm, mid 80's is my guess.

Rod
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_g_armstrong wrote:
I agree it's a bit of a gray area, but there are no signs saying you can't do it. Never seen a ranger at the top, and I've sailed there half a dozen times...This time of year, the water there is tropically warm, mid 80's is my guess.

True, I haven't seen a sign prohibiting it. I'd bet they haven't even considered that someone would do it. Laughing The only sign I've seen is the *windsurfing parking* at the west end of the mound.

Might be an interesting penalty if you're busted. Seal Point is a San Mateo City park and the rangers are San Mateo County employees. Wink

The water's warm partly because it's pretty shallow for a long way. Have to be careful about tides there. It can be a long schlog thru the mud if you stay out too long. Low tide isn't pretty.

Glad someone's getting some use out of that park.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: