myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabrillo Beach Windsurf Enduro -- July 14, 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwajack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Grab Your Spot Now, Save on Fees for the July 14th Enduro Reply with quote

On behalf of the organizers, thanks to everyone for a great response to this new event. There are a limited number of spots and they are going fast - go to www.cabrillobeachbathhouse.org to register. For those who have not signed up yet, you have until June 30th to register and qualify for a $10 early registration fee. Beyond that date, your fee will be $20. Your fee covers parking, a rash guard, a late afternoon barbecue and all race logistics. It's a great deal for a great cause!

Also, a reminder for out of town guests, The Doubletree Hotel in San Pedro is offering Racers a $30 discount on room rates if you reserve on or before June 22nd. The Doubletree is in a great location situated above the Cabrillo Marina and close to the beach. Please call 310-514-3344 and identify yourself as a participant in the Windsurf Enduro Event to make a reservation.
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to your wife for organizing this event, it has definitely created a lot of buzz and anticipation down at Cabrillo beach.
FredBGG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrobb wrote:
I'm guessing from your verbage, this is the inagural season? I'm considering driving down from San Fran and haven't any knowlege of the area other than sattelite maps. Do you have a list of affordable places to stay nearby? I'm no enemy of sleeping on dirt so a crummy hotel room would be the bees knees in my book.

Side note, was looking at the class delineations and am either going to run in Open or Novice. I'm fast and can jibe dry 80% of the time but never raced before, would I be considered a sandbagger if I enter a lower class?

J

There are great arial photos of the whole california coast here:

http://www.californiacoastline.org/

just type in the beach name
felixbird

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Video Cameras for Cabrillo enduro? Reply with quote

Hi All,
Like many of the Cabrillo crowd I'm very much looking forward to the Cabrillo enduro competition this w/e.

I was just wondering if the organizers planning any kind of video recording of the event?

I saw that there was some clause in the reg form, but just wanted to mention the idea.

I was inspired by this footage:

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=180568&cdate=20070510

Best,

Felix
jwajack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Video Coverage of Windsurf Enduro Reply with quote

Felix --
Right now, the only recording medium planned by the organizers is still photography by Daniel Gallet, who will be on the race committee boat. There were some rumors that Glenn Dubock (sp?) might make it down for the event, but I haven't heard anything further. There is also some chance that there will be media, including television, coverage, as media alerts have gone out and the organizers have had direct discussions with some TV producers.
If someone has a good video set up and wants to shoot the event, PM me and I'll put you direct contact with the organizers (or contact Stephanie directly at 310-521-9078) -- I'm not certain whether there is more room on the RC boat, but if not there may be other vantage points from which good video could be shot if appropriate permissions are obtained. (Unfortunately, the main lifeguard tower is out of the question as they need it clear for any emergencies, and I suspect that any PWC based filming would be frowned upon by the lifeguards, but one always can ask.)
jwajack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Enduro Not Affected By LA Harbor Sewage Spill Reply with quote

According to the LA County authorities, the sewage spill that occurred on Tuesday evening, July 10 occurred at 10th and Grand in San Pedro, with the storm drain catch spill into the harbor around that location. (For reference, Cabrillo Beach spans from approximately 30th Street to 40th Street, and the outer beach is between 37th and 40th.) THE SPILL DID NOT OCCUR AT CABRILLO BEACH as many news reports have erroneously stated or implied. Precautionary signs have been posted at the beach as a matter of standard policy, not because the beach is polluted. These signs are expected to be lifted Thursday afternoon or Friday.

The Cabrillo Beach Windsurf Enduro is therefore scheduled to take place as planned and we look forward to seeing everyone soon!
If you have further questions, a health official hotline is available: 626-430-5420.
erik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

What a great event! Lots of new faces on the beach, music, great souvenir lycra, good wind and sailing, it was fun!

A big thanks to everybody involved for organizing and sponsoring!
jwajack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Enduro Results and Thanks from Stephanie Reply with quote

Dear all:

What a thrill to have the first annual Cabrillo Beach Windsurf Enduro event finally come together on Saturday July 14, 2007! A warm thank you to everyone -- from racers to sponsors to volunteers and staff members -- for your spirited participation and making the Enduro a success.

As many of you saw, we had a great turnout, with 68 participants, including 27 male novices, 20 male open, 9 male masters and 12 women. Winds finally cooperated with a 15-18 MPH average and gusts to the mid 20s. We were excited to see some good frenzied race starts from the beach for our women and novice racers and some tight turning action around the marks of our figure-eight course. I had fun seeing everyone come together at the barbecue and for drinks at the Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club.

Final placements are listed below and will be further posted and communicated to various forums. Congratulations to our prize winners!

See you next year!
Sincerely,
Stephanie LeBlond
310-989-7801

Male Novice
Position Name
1 Erik Jan de Boer
2 Philip Newmarch
3 Will Vasquez
4 Ronn Holmes
5 Jaime Rico
6 Wayne Chin
7 Andy Hajduczek
8 Michael Munn
9 Thomas Dherbecourt
10 Peter Star
11 Mete Kural
12 Anthony Walker

Women
* please note correction to previous announcements
Position Name
1 Shawn Freeman
* Tie for 2 Claudia Rankel
* Tie for 2 Kay Monteleone
3 Sheri Nelson
4 Vicky Tsoi
5 Stephanie LeBlond
6 Janice Hauser
7 Dafra Tobi
9 Genevieve Kayat

Male Open
Position Name
1 Peter Bonello
2 Dave Freeman
3 Casey Hauser
4 Mauro Jorand
5 Chris Knap
6 Greg Monteleone
7 Gabor Vagi

Male Masters
Position Name
1 Cliff Hauser
2 Jeff Jones
3 Kirk Robinson

Thanks to all of our sponsors!
Cabrillo Beach Boosters
Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club
Dakine
Ezzy
Streamlined
Mauna Kai Hawaii
iWindsurf.com
Captain Kirk's Windsports
Long Beach Windsurf Center
Wind Junkie
Albertsons
Brian and Angela Burney Family
Ken and Debbie Letwin Family
Baja Fish
South Shores Meat Shop
San Pedro.com
gabor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Stephanie,

I was feeling sorry for myself all last night for the worst race of my life......when I start thinking.....what a selfish son of the gun I am and can not see the forest from the trees.

Let me spill it all out.

I am writing from the dark side.......I went to the Cabrillo Beach Windsurf Enduro to sell my slalom board for the remaining few windsurfers......when I got the shock of my life.....over 100 windsurfers most of them racing some of them cheering.....plus their families.....where are all these people came from.....I felt I was on a European beach at an any given summer day.....

I have been windsurfing over 25 years and saw the growth and deterioration of windsurfing (particularly in the USA). The reason for growth was obvious: fun, thrill, rush, camaraderie etc, and many more reasons with exclamation mark at the end but no one could describe it with just a few words. I have my theory about the deterioration....lack of wind, industry direction of board design, baby boomers having too much money (buying motorized "fun") but most importantly the disappearing fun races.

A few die harts of us learned formula windsurfing (what an irony who won this event!) and still do this on a smaller scale (thanks to SDWA/Robert Van. SoCal Cup/Joe Roth).....and I have learned kiting and enjoy the same rush what I have experienced 25 years ago.

I am holding off the GOING OUT OF WINDSURFING BUSINESS SALE. And forget my race result! You got my blood boiling.....Peter, Dave, Chris, Greg, Kacey (and all other racers) and especially Joe....I'LL BE BACK!

THANK YOU AND ALL THE OTHERS who made this possible and organize this magnitude of event with such a world class manner. You are a visionary who came in the right time and with an incredible professionalism.

How can I help?
My best regards, Gabor Vagi US V
windanseaphoto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Enduro Photos Reply with quote

I covered a few of the early heats - photos are up at http://windanseaphoto.com/cgi-bin/store/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Windsurfing/2007%20Enduro

Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: