myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coyote Point Repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pthorner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Coyote Point Repairs Reply with quote

The promenade at Coyote Point has suffered additional damage over the winter and parts of the access are fenced off. Below is an update I sent out recently and an update from Sam Herzberg, the planner with San Mateo County Parks. There is no standing fund to pay for repairs, so a full fix will involve a long planning process and a fundraising process. As Sam points out, there was a measure on the last ballot that would have create a standing fund for repairs and maintenance, but it was voted down. If people think such a fund should exist, then they should consider supporting such a measure when it comes up again. The parks peopel and planners are taking a lot of flak. Everyone I have talked to is eager to help, but they have to work within a system and compete for funds to move things along. I think that anyone who is willing to work with these people will find that a cooperative approach will work best.

Peter Thorner
San Francisco Boardsailing Association
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just talked with Dave Moore, the San Mateo County Parks Superintendent. They are concerned about the windsurfing use and also are getting pressure from the kayakers to make repairs so that the annual Paddlefest can happen at Coyote Point. They are seriously looking at the possibility of doing some kind of sandbagging and fence realignment. County Parks has hired a consultant, PWA, to address the long term solution and has said that the consultant will also be tasked with looking at the possibility of a interim fix. Maureen and I are going to meet with David Brew of PWA and hopefully the head ranger on Monday to walk them through the site and how it is used and explore the options. Sandbagging requires a permit from the Bay Conservation & Development Commission (BCDC) which is normally a major process. I have talked with staff at the Bay Conservation & Development Commission and it sounds like there could be a willingness to streamline things if the Park is on board with temporary repairs. It is very difficult for a park to allow user repairs because of liability and permitting issues and the area in question is under a lot of focus, so any unofficial repairs won't go under the radar. I'm not sure if the park could or would allow a work party to help on a repair they manage, but I'm sure that an offer would be appreciated.

We are lucky that foundation money was advanced for the analysis and design of a new or repaired promenade. The likely sources for the big repair project are state agencies - the Department of Boating (DBW) and Waterways and the Coastal Conservancy. If the promenade is improved as part of the Bay Trail, then it will open up additional funding that is earmarked for the Bay Trail. SFBA worked to get people to respond to a survey by DBW about how state money should be spent and hopefully we will have a workshop with DBW in April where people can tell them again where funds are needed. The site is also likely to be designated as a launch on the new Bay Water Trail which would also likely open up funding options.

We might have to work hard to lobby so that funds come sooner than later, but the official request for funds can't come until the design and approval process is well advanced. We should probably put together a team to work on this issue since it will require a significant ongoing effort for 2-3 years to deal with both the near term and long term solution. There will be multiple public meetings on design and environmental impacts and the design will have to go to the Parks Commission. The ideal team would have people who can build a relationship and partnership with the players at the County rather than being critical and demanding. The people at the County didn't design all the rules and regulations that limit the process and they would love to have an existing budget to address problems like this. They also want to make sure that repairs and improvements work well for windsurfers and other users, so continuous input and communication is key.

I've been reading some complaints about how money was spent on other projects and asking why there isn't money on hand for this one. People worked and lobbied very long and hard to get money for the playground (starting before anyone knew how bad the promenade was degrading) and windsurfers will sound selfish to the average person (or Park Commissioner) if they imply that our use is more important than a playground for the kids even if there are a lot more playgrounds around than good launches. Other projects like Seal Point Park were in the works for a long time and there was momentum to fund the park because it was otherwise going to be a giant mound of dirt on top of a sealed landfill dump. I think that there are good people in the County Parks system that we can work well with and we need a few people that want to stay on top of this process over the long haul who can work cooperatively even if pressure may be needed at some point.

Peter Thorner
SFBA

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My name is Sam Herzberg and I'm the Senior Park Planner with San Mateo County Parks Department. Your question regarding the status of the promenade that has been falling into disreapir was forwarded to me by Dave Holland the Director of San Mateo County Parks. The promenade has been falling into disrepair in the past few years, particularly unprotected areas to the south where the promenade has been collapsing, and to the north where the armor flex in the windsurfing area has been collapsing.

Due to generous donations of private funds raised through the County Park Foundation County Parks is able to prepare Design Plans and Specifications to repair the promenade. Phil Williams and Associates has been hired to prepare Design Plans. This will be a two phase effort. The first phase will involve gathering the background data, meeting with City of San Mateo who may be interested in developing a project that also meets their flood control needs, identifying a number of alternatives, meeting with the public about alternatives and selecting a preferred alternative. The consultant will also evaluate potential "temporary" fixes, which will require plans, environmental review and permits from agencies such as the Bay Conservation and Development Commission as well as potentially others. I have conveyed your interest in seeing a temporary fix to David Brew who works for Phil Williams and Associates. The second phase of the project will involve more detailed geotechnical analysis, Final Design Plans and Specifications, environmental review and permitting. Essentially getting the project to be ready to be funded and constructed. There is currently no funding available to make any of the improvements, although we have already had discussions with both the CA Department of Boating and Waterways and CA Coastal Conservancy as well as the City of San Mateo Flood Control who may be interested in participating in funding the final repair.

County Parks has no funding for capital improvements, which was why Measure A was attempted this past November (and failed) to raise money to fund these types of proejcts. Measure A is going to be attempted again, and will need the public's support. If you'd like more information please contact Julia Bott at the County Park Foundation at 650/321-5812.

There will be no immediate "easy" fixes, so your patience is appreciated.
I'd like to add you and any others you suggest to the mailing list to keep
you informed as this project moves forward, so please send me mailing
addresses of interested parties. If you have any further questions please
feel free to contact me at 650/363-1823. Thanks!

Sam
jimbeall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Coyote sailing? Reply with quote

So what is the deal with sailing? Does this mean reduced number of sailors? Is part of the parking lot blocked off? It sounds like sailors will be funneled through the openings? A few pic's could up date us, please. Sad Does this really mean small hassle ( have to do a little more of a walk to the water) or a big deal or not an issue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: