myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mast problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: mast problem Reply with quote

I have a 2014 6.4m Goya Nexus that is a beautiful sail that has never been quite right for me - it's kind of twitchy in gusts and I'm looking for a little more control in gusty conditions as well as lighter weight.

I think the sail is fine, I blame my 55% carbon 460 mast. the sail has a luff of 464 and is supposed to rig on a 460 RDM/SDM mast. The Goya recommendation would be their 90% 460 RDM or 70% 460 SDM.

I have a new Goya 430 99% RDM to go with my 2017 Nexus 5.4. Mast and sail are super-light, I'm really happy with this combo so far.

I'm tempted to get a long carbon extension and use my 430RDM with the 6.4 - it will be light and have the proper length but have a lower IMCS than a 460. Alternatively I'm thinking of buying a KA sails 100% SDM 460 - light/strong/economical (I have a KA 490 100% mast and it's a great mast).
The KA mast would be markedly lighter than either of the offerings from Goya - I wish they made a 460 SDM 100% mast. Also less expensive.

What would you do? What is the down-side to using the 430 with the long extension?

Last edited by acalhounguy on Wed May 03, 2017 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The existing 55% 460 ...what is it, standard dia?

Purchase the 460 KA.

THE 430 with long extension poses 2 areas of concern, it will be too soft.
That long , may never bend

or break I would worry about that .
NP do make a RDM extendo, that I would consider over the long extension.
Never saw any for sale in the US, but England, yes, I have one.[/list]

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: mast problem Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:
What is the down-side to using the 430 with the long extension?

The downside is the sail will behave at the opposite end of the spectrum. Instead of being twitchy, it will have slow response due to the mast being too soft. It also may be less stable since there will be less tension running through the luff panel. If you run a tall aluminum extension (I know, you said carbon), and you're a larger person, you also run the risk of bending the extension.

On my Hot 6.3, I use a combo 460 RDM bottom and 430 RDM top. I originally tried it because that sail called for a 430, but I was bending extensions. I've been quite happy with the "hybrid" setup.

sm
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the 55% 460 is SDM, it's a Fiberspar from some years back. It seems to pair well with my Ezzy Lion 7.5 and is comparatively light for its carbon composition. I really like the 490 KA 100% with my Lion 9.5M - it transformed the rig when I bought it so I would expect to be happy with the 460 KA 100% with both the Goya 6.4 and the Lion 7.5. It's just that I own the 430 Goya mast which is crazy light so I was thinking of giving it a try. There are some 40 - 46cm carbon RDM extensions which would get me to the 464 I need in combination with the 430 mast but I don't own such an extension. So the question is whether to buy the new extension (not cheap but cheaper than a mast) or a new mast.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance we can see the sail rigged?
How much tuning were you able to do?

dennis_c

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One new mast to fix one sail and vastly improve another? No-brainer.
ss59

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carbon content will make some difference to the handling of the sail (a higher carbon content mast recovers quicker when flexed) but a twitchy sail is much more to do with a leech that isn't twisting off in the gusts because it is too tight.

A leech that is too tight is almost certain caused by insufficient downhaul or/and a mast with the wrong bend characteristics.

I believe Goya masts are pretty much Constant Curve, I would suggest not only getting a new 460 but going for the 75% Goya rather than the 100% KA as the right mast with less carbons beats the wrong mast with more carbon everytime. A quick bit of research suggests that these two masts are almost exactly the same price.

Plus, as Dennis_c says, this new Goya 460 will transform your Ezzy (Goya and Ezzy masts are very close together)
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a pretty good idea about different sail brands and their mast specifications by referring to the following chart.

http://www.unifiber.net/2014/mast-selector

Regarding the Goya 430 RDM, it seems to be quite a bit different from their 460 RDM, as it exhibits more of a hardtop character.
rtz

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the prices on 40, 60, and 80% masts: https://chinooksailing.com/index.php/windsurf/masts/carbon.html
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the prior comment regarding proper downhaul. If the sail is designed to use either a 460 SDM or RDM mast and you were using a 460 SDM, I wouldn't expect to see a night and day difference just by switching to an RDM and bumping up the carbon content.

Check to make sure you were downhauling the sail enough before plunking down a couple hundred bucks on a new mast.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: