myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge info requested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manxon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

Good day everyone, Im a Colombian windsurfer and Im planning to spend the next summer in the working in the States. And I was wondering where should I go...Im a student of electronic engineer in the last semester. So Id like to have an Intership in a place pretty near from a good Gorge sailing spot(is just Im in love with windsurfing). if you know some one that can give me a hand it will be really helpfull. thanks for your time.

As other guy in the forum Im a beginner and Im dont have a really good jibe buy I have had good experiences with water star in small waves like 2ft big. Where place should I go? How big should the sail be in Gorge? Does the wind blows June, July and August? Again thatnks

Regards JULIAN
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

Dammit! Right near the end of a long response my sorry new dual core iMac froze yet again and dumped my response.

The short answer is:
Portland, Oregon: Giant city 60-80 miles/minutes from the heart of the gorge. Google it for job oportunities.

Hood River, OR: heart of the gorge but very limited technical jobs. Google Cloud Cap Technology for engineering oportunities. You will still have to drive to maximize your sailing time and variety because the wind varies very significantly over the 200 mile length of the gorge.

TriCities, Washington including Richland, Washington: the high-technology center on the Columbia River, with 10,000 technical jobs including big R&D laboratories such as PNNL which use summer interns. Google TriDec for information. Gorge sailing starts 30-70 miles (25-60 minutes) away.

Youll catch more sailing TIME on an 8.0 sail, but have more sailing FUN on a 4.2 or thereabouts. Many locals wont bother until its blowing at least 5.0-6.0, which costs them a LOT of sailing time. Used gear here is dirt cheap; buy it, use it up, and throw it away, or buy better stuff and keep or sell it.

Summer is the peak season in the heart of the Gorge, but the eastern Gorge peaks earlier. Any spot in the Gorge can go up to one or two weeks at a time without wind; catch it whenever and wherever you can. That is . . . DRIVE.

Mike \m/
thomas_tlusty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

June, July, and August is the right time to be in the Gorge, we get the most consistent winds then. As long as you have a solid waterstart you can sail anywhere in the gorge, with maybe a couple of exceptions if the current is very strong. Usually the current is only very strong in the spring.

Hood River or across the river in White Salmon or Bingen is the ideal place to be, Portland is doable but the drive gets very old if you want to sail every day. Not too many tech jobs in the gorge itself, however you may want to see if this company has anything for you: http://www.insitu.com/
Theyre in Bingen which is right across the river from Hood River.

Keep in mind that youre going to need a car, its basically impossible to be in windsurfer in the gorge without one. Good luck!
manxon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

Thanks both of you Im working in uploading my job resume. Really good advise IŽll keep in touch thank you very much. By the way where do you live, is it near from the Gorge. Bye and thanks for your time.

My best regards

JULIAN
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge info requested Reply with quote

I live a few miles from the Columbia River, upstream of and near the eastern end of the gorge. Before moving here I lived in a van chasing wind throughout the Gorge for 3-6 months each year for a decade.

Mike \m/
TerryT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are into electronics you may be interested that Hewlett-Packard has a very large site in Vancouver Washington, which is essentially an Eastern suburb of Portland. It is one of their printer/plotter divisions and employs several thousand people.
starfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: NO 8.0 Reply with quote

Come on mike its quality not quanity......... We are spoiled wind snobs. But thats why we live here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: