myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Forada Keys-- Launch Sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Forada Keys-- Launch Sites Reply with quote

Going to the keys in a few days. Will be staying near Key West. What are the best launch sites?
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Forada Keys-- Launch Sites Reply with quote

I sailed at the Moorings once and Holiday something..very shallow water. I rented from a place that no longer rents, I think, Calvert Sails. It was ok. The Keys was not my cup of tea for sailing but I loved the two time experience. Not much else to share.
caribwnd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: RE: Forada Keys-- Launch Sites Reply with quote

I lived in and sailed Key West in the 80s and we sailed many different spots depending on the conditions.
Bahia Honda state park north of Key West is a beautiful spot in east and southeast wind. Nearer to and in Key West is Cow Key channel in northers, the sea wall in front of the Best Western on the southeast side of K.W. in northeast to easterly winds, Smathers Beach in southeast to east windes.We often sailed Fort Zachary Taylor park in south to S.E. and sometimes north winds but watch the currents coming out of the harbor on incoming or outgoing tides. And the Key West harbor in northers (for experienced sailors only) there are strong currents on outgoing and incoming tides. The launch for the harbor is at the north end of Southard Street. At all of these spots you should be aware of the tides and a weather radio was always at hand when we sailed to monitor not only the winds but the tides.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: RE: Forada Keys-- Launch Sites Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks for the info, I met a local that tiped me off to some of the spots, caught some nice Northerlies Mon Tue. Looks like all you need here is 8.5 and a 6.0. Not a great WS destination but lots of other stuff to do.

SeaDawg
(Where did I leave the Rum?)
mr_hyphen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Forada Keys-- Launch Sites Reply with quote

Everything you need to know about Windsurfing Key West is at:
http://www.jewelrygenius.com/windinfo.html

This is a great spot that works in all wind directions .... yes a good idea to have large sails, but I also bust a mast on a 5.0m day there.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: