myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BIG Move to Maui
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say this but how one is going to make a living there may be the most important thing. Unless you are single and college age, having a plan for a job or starting a good business may do the most to ensure your staying and having things work out half decently. You may know that many Kama'aina (hawaiians) move to my state; Nevada, to make a decent living, be able to afford a car, buy a house and have their children attend good schools etc. Most of the people I know who "stay there" have a good source of income such as a internet based job or retirement income etc. I lived in Aspen as a skibum for a year but I was young and found a job at the City Market and lived in a dorm. A great experience, but nothing I could do at this point in my life.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a house I've got one for rent sometime in February. It is 100 feet from Mamas Fish house on the Kuau penninsula. Great deal and you can sail up to Hookipa in 2 tacks. Very reasonable rent, and you will save alot of time and money on gas and no rigging.
pzwinakis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I moved there twice. Once for a dry run and again with all our stuff (both cars and a 20' container - use Matson and load it yourself or you'll pay through the nose - Matson for the cars too). It's a pain in the ass but I would not want to have to rely on anybody on that island as I was trying to replace everything. Not that I didn't meet nice people there but the whole concept of responsibility and timely-ness disappears somewhere between here and there. One thing to consider is that everything you own that's nice will get destroyed by the climate there. Not that it will matter because it's such a non-materialistic place, you won't care. The concept of a job definitely changes between here and there as well. In the Bay Area (here), money is easy to make and the people you work with are most likely very smart and unfortunately also unbalanced when it comes to the work/life balance. The life imbalance here is one of the things that drove us to Maui in the first place. The problem is that the imbalance is there too. Just different. In our times on Maui we met one (1) smart couple and I think I met a couple people who weren't stoned... still not sure. The kiting was ok. Not as good as Santa Cruz 90% of the time, but every once in a while it was better than just about anywhere I could imagine (Lanes - horrible launch, good waves). Because it's a tourist place, there are rules up the wazoo. Can't go in the water here, can't go until a certain time, can't go there unless you are a Hawaiian, can't go there unless you want your car broken into, ,can't, can't, can't, ect... Coming from California, I felt like I was on the tropical side of the iron curtain. Still moving there was the best thing my wife and I ever did. It helped us realize that while we will go back there for a couple months at a time, I really can't seriously ever see us trying to settle down there. We also are back in love with California... Just my $.02
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzwinakis wrote:
Because it's a tourist place, there are rules up the wazoo. Can't go in the water here, can't go until a certain time, can't go there unless you are a Hawaiian, can't go there unless you want your car broken into, ,can't, can't, can't, ect... Coming from California, I felt like I was on the tropical side of the iron curtain.

That observation ranks among my all-time internet revelations, and reinforces forever my lack of interest in moving to Maui, even though I would not be seeking a job. Thank you!

I once visited a place which proved to be the epitome of "Can't, can't, can't", to the point I swore in about 1985 never to return ... a vow I've kept so far. I had, and still have, never encountered such a "No" paradigm, such an officious and pervasive culture of "No", and now you say Maui is even WORSE than that place? That's inconceivable this side of the obvious places like North Korea or Afghanistan.

About the climate ... I hear that. I spent a summer in Tallahassee, and literally had to throw away the slacks and leather shoes I left in the closet those three months; solid mildew and/or mold.

Mike \m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having vacationed in Oahu, Kauai and Maui 14 times since 1972, I understand much of what pzwinakis is communicating in his post. While there are many great attributes to the Hawaiian Islands, especially because they are part of America, the thing that I didn't like about the islands is the mosquitoes and cockroaches. Never ending bugs.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Never ending bugs.
I think you meant "Never ending drugs". Wink
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm talking about insects.

Are you a hardcore Christian Fundamentalist with a righteous attitude?

Quite frankly, I'm not worried about most folk's casual recreational focus. There are practical laws that get directly to misbehaving and serious unlawful activities. However, one must be pragmatic about creating criminal activities, and where our legal, enforcement and penal activities should be focused.

We must remember that at one time some years ago, drinking alcohol was unlawful. Forget human history and toss everything in the air.

Give goofy voices a hard platform, and total nonsense and foolish can be the result.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Are you a hardcore Christian Fundamentalist with a righteous attitude?
Guess my sense of humor doesn't translate well over the internet.

Since you ask, I am all for legalizing drugs, including hard core drugs. Monitor it, regulate it and tax the hell out of it. Why send the profits to 3rd world despots and islamic terrorists in Afganistan. Those that want to use drugs will do so regardless of the laws. Or maybe because of the laws - I remember how as a teenager/young adult we'd do stuff we wouldn't otherwise do just because we were supposed not to. Giving the man the finger.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with "recreational" drugs isn't so much the idiots who ruin their own lives with them as the bystanders they affect with their crime, driving, medical costs, aggressive recruitment, poor performance in their jobs, and the countless other $#!+ they smear on humanity. Their right to their nose ends at mine.

Mike
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda for legalized drugs too. But you'd have to cut off all welfare. That way if they got too fffd up on drugs they'd either die in the gutter or have to kick the habit. Welfare enables drug use and despair.
Meth is the big problem on Maui. Just check out the pavillion at Hookipa on any give afternoon. 100 yards south is paradise though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: