myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hammonasset Beach, CT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaxclk320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Hammonasset Beach, CT Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on sailing in and around the beach area? Looking to move into the area.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Hammonasset Beach, CT Reply with quote

I never sailed there but sometimes I sail in Branford (14 miles West) because my parents have a summer home there. I bought a board from a fellow who lives and sails in Guilford which is also nearby.
Hammonasset looks like a gook location on the map.

Oliver
allen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Hammonasset Beach, CT Reply with quote

Dont move there for windsurfing.........Its a short drive to Rhode Island for ok winds and about 3 hours to Cape Cod for better summer winds. CT gets prevailing SW winds in the summer that are not strong enough for Wsurfing. Spring fronts and Fall storms do bring good winds. When I lived there we put our stuff away between Memorial and Labor Day (unless we went to the cape). It may be ok for kiting though.....
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: RE: Hammonasset Beach, CT Reply with quote

We spend our summers in Old Saybrook which is very close to Hammonasset. Unfortunately there is hardly any wind all summer, you might get in a couple of days on big gear and thats about it. Too bad, the sound would be a great place to sail!
caanders

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Hammonasset Beach, CT Reply with quote

I have never sailed at Hammonasset but I have family in Madison CT and when I visit I bring my gear and set in at the nearby surf club which all the residents of Madison can belong. The conditions would be the same as they are only 2-3 miles apart. This past June it was blowing 20+ but this is very a-typical. Summers are usually stale. RI is only an hour away and that is where the best gear shop is in those parts. Middletown I think. I wouldnt move there just for windsurfing but if you have to move to the CT area, you wont be disappointed with your options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: