myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued plumb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c226t463

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued plumb Reply with quote

know your local conditions!!..i was the one.
the wind was out of the north, the tide was going out and we sailed right near the inlet - the tide approached rush outgoing,topspeed and there was a windshadow near shore where the wind rises to cross the penisula. i dropped right into the middle of the channel and could not waterstart due to wind cancelled out by fast moving current. straight out to sea but for the graces of my sailing buddies and the NYPD helos....

trust those little feeling you hv cause i didnt like the way things were setting up as i got onto the water...
AND BUY an AERIAL FLARE, strobe light, SOLAS reflective tape on your helmet and maybe a VHF radio or some signaling device. it all seems a little too expensive and bulky to carry until you are floating out there watching the helos search for you 2 miles away!
the helo pilots said they had no way to see me in 6 foot swells until they were right above me.
NEW YORK -- Police were called to search for a missing man in the waters off of Rockaway, 1010 WINS has learned
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued plumb Reply with quote

Scary dude. Glad you made it back alive!
trburl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued p Reply with quote

No doubt, we are glad to see you typing on iWindsurf!! We are all a decision away from disaster, whether we know it or not. Even if it was a good call, things can go wrong... How scared were you out there, honestly, did you talk to God?????
c226t463

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued p Reply with quote

maybe too naive, but i had a lot of faith in the 911 system. i watched them search for me even tho they were no where near me...and i had decided to try to swim/paddle away from them to make some progress towards jersey about 10 miles south, but i felt they would find me... another 30 minutes when the sun would hv started sinking and things would hv changed in my midset for sure....i am currently shoppping some sort of radio to use to call for help for myself or other sailors in the future. any one hv a favorite?
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued p Reply with quote

I occasionaly take a cellphone in an aquapack. -scooper
trburl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued p Reply with quote

I have a good friend who has swam the San Francisco Bay a few times due to broken masts or universals. Once was at sunset....He got a Marine Radio and now wont sail without it. Ill get him to post a reply and get you the make and model.
pthorner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued p Reply with quote

Check out our info at SFBA:

http://sfba.org/MarineRadioGuide.shtml

The Horizon 460 is a nice size but Ive had it fail when wet. Im using an Icom M72 which is super beefy and rugged but more bulky (rigid antenna). Regardless of which model, use a aquapac bag and keep the radio dry. The bag also screens out wind noise which can make transmission unintelligible. USCG helos have light enhancing goggles, so a strobe or even a modest waterproof flashlight could be invaluable after dark as it will works for hours vs. 6 seconds per flare launched(which I also carry).

- Peter
trburl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued p Reply with quote

Peter has more data, go with it. Looks like its time to get a Marine Radio myself...
jwj16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: RE: know your local conditions!!..sailor rescued p Reply with quote

I always sail with a cell phone in a aqua pack. however i use to use a flip phone which you have to take it out of the bag to use. I proptly failied in the wet conditions. now i use a non flip phone and am able to make calls on it with out taking it out of the bag.

jwj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: