myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Car on Maui
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabull1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Car on Maui Reply with quote

Hey gang! Im retiring my trusty ol Toyota PU to Maui loaded with w/s gear. Anyone have any experience with this?Thanks, Bull
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

Shipped one there, shipped it back
Was $900 from LA, its twice from east coast.
Matson Lines...takes a few weeks...cars are more expensive there, so if the truck runs well its a wash
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

Ps. You wont be able to put your gear in it
carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

Outcast is right, nothing can be stowed inside.
The $985 fare from Oakland to Maui was quoted as 3 to 6 weeks. If youre going to be there only a week, this may be a problem timing it. The person on the contract has to pick it up in a few days or they start charging storage fees (I think its 5 days). We decided to pay the extra $500 for priority (guarenteed 7 days transit time). It went very smooth.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

i also retired my trusty toyota pickup to oahu, and still driving it, still replacing parts...

however as mentioned they wont let you stock it full of anything. its got to be empty.

although i managed to sneak a car jack and a few other things by strapping them to the back wall of the bed (mine has a shell).

Matson operates out of oahu, and i would guess your car would come here first and then by barge to maui. not sure if they have direct to maui.

it took about 1 month for my truck to arrive. then it was slow getting it out of matson.

these pickups are worth more in Hawaii than on the mainland !
carl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

They all go thru Oahu, then on a smaller ship to Maui. You can even track it on Matsons website. If you pay extra, theyll put you on the next ship and it took 7 days, OAK to Maui (they may have quoted 7-10 days). It was parked in front of the office when I got there. In my case, I would have had to rent a car (or maybe pay to extend my stay) if it was late. So that and the stress factor, justified the extra cost for the priority service.
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

THANKS GUYS!!! Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

Bill; Are you moving?
John
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

John, I can only dream, but at least my trusty ol Toyota can retire there. I just bought a new Tundra and Ive been squirreling gear away in Maui since our last trip. The master plan was hatched over a couple of mai tais with Mitch and Marsha at Hapas to the tunes of Willie K!!! Aloha, Bull
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: RE: Car on Maui Reply with quote

Making plans while drinking..the more you drink, the bigger the plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: