myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chicago lakeshore wind readings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santamonica11a

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Chicago lakeshore wind readings Reply with quote

The wind readings for the Chicago LAKESHORE area provided by this website are really unworthy. Most of the time, especially after 12pm, the readings are at least one hour behind. Also, the only sensor along Chicago LAKESHORE (Offshore Chicago) it has been down for more than a month now. I thought about getting the FX membership but is not worthy under these conditions.
Does anyone know any other way to get current wind conditions in the LAKESHORE area in Chicago?
JRuffus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Chicago lakeshore wind readings Reply with quote

well the thing you are not realizing, is that the chicago readings are ALL like airports and crap liek there, there are not true windmeters managed by FX...so you cant blame i iwindsurf..essentially those meters are tapped from other sources. only meters in yellow are managed by FX..you notice all of theses in chicago are white, hence, they are noaa and airport meters...they are only good for indicators, unfortunately, just the way it is
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Chicago lakeshore wind readings Reply with quote

welcome to hell i,m a great lakes windsurfer/kiter/surfer on lake erie learn to adapt or deal with it.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: RE: Chicago lakeshore wind readings Reply with quote

I dont really have too much of a problem with it....there are plenty of peer readings and with a little research youll be able to tell what kinds of conditions will favor a windy day. For example, JRuffus knows that sun and a SW breeze usually favors a late afternoon thermal (yeah ruffus, Im EVERYWHERE).

The same might hold true for a NE or a North in Chicago, I dont know. But talk to locals and get the knowledge. People know what kinds of conditions set up wind and where it happens. Yeah, wind sesnsors give you the current reading, but it takes you 2 hours to get there and by that time it might not be windy anyway. Im much more in favor of forecasting and using history as your guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: