myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maui95

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: SF Bay Reply with quote

The bottom line is that there is no better place to sail in the summer than SF (Coast and Delta and all spots in between). From May to Sept you can be sure to find at least one spot with 20 kts plus wind. they are all very different. No other place in the continental US has the wind quality and variety that we do; not even close.

As far as pollution, I wouldnt recommended to sail with an open wound in the Delta; short of that there is no health related water issues as far as Im aware of.

j
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

Bogus claim. Its too cold for summer sailing. The chances you will catch the right location for high wind in a region that is vast to say the least, also should deter anyone from taking your claim seriously. Its no wonder the kiters took to wearing their board shorts outside their wetsuits in the Bay, what else can one do with them?
wiamea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

you need 2 stop that bleeding wound in your skull all your brains are leeking out!!!...SF area is a crap shoot at best and definiely overrated!!!...stop smoking that stuff!!!
melpel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

I take it these two responses are from people that are NOT bay area sailors...?

SF Bay is the best conditions on the mainland to sail. So far this year I am at 55 days (while holding a day job!), and virtually all days are 5.8 or smaller (winds 19 or higher). Could have sailed many more days, but too lazy to drive to the delta or TI, so this is just the sailable days at 3rd.

I sail Maui every year as well, while water is warm, winds are gusty. On the bay we get 18-22 as the average day. Maui gets something like 18-28.

Gorge sailing... have not been there in years but all reports are one week on, one week off.... now that is close to real crap shoot odds...

Yepp, bay sailing cant be beat. Ill get 80-100 days in this year with minimal driving. If you are willing to drive up to 90 miles (tops), you could push this to 125-150 days which is pretty darn good for a 6-8 month season.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

So the water is cold....nothing a wetsuit cant take care of...or you want to sail in Florida?...yeah high winds over there huh?? You are not from here and dont seem to know our sites and winds or else you wouldnt say what you just said. Places like the Delta, TI and 3rd Ave. will give you the high winds youre after. Check out the graph for yesterday at TI, for some time the wind was averaging 30 mph gusting to 35 measured at the meter, stronger outside. 3rd Ave. is usually the same way outside in the channel, stronger than the readings....keep wearing your shorts wherever you are.
Calirider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

The Delta is my favorite! Warm & Windy!

Cheers,
Brad

http://cdec2.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryFx?RIV
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

Its good that youre happy with it since you live there. I visited SF in June and thought about sailing but the brown water and traffic was a deterent to me. I dont know how you guys do it.
polarbear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

Check that out: I got 170 days last year (with a full time job and missing many good days of sailing), and Im already at 95 days this season (29 days in July!). Im originally from the St. Lawrence River area in Canada and I wouldnt be able to sail as much (on small gear to say the least)if I was still living there. Yes, maybe I would wear my board shorts during the humid and sticky summer (what? about eight weeks long???), but Im tellin ya, the Bay is the best place to windsurf in Cont. USA...So good that Im willing to give up my Canadian citizenship and tolerate whatever W. says and do just so I can windsurf 6+ months a year! Howbout that???
P.S.: As far as I know, I have not grown a third arm on my forehead, gills, or whatever you think may be the result of pollution...Never sick either;-)
steve1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

Im with you on that one. I relocated myself, familiy and business from the UK to the Bay Area in 93 for largely the same reasons. In the UK my 20MPH+ days were limited to storms and/or a couple of weeks a year on Fuertaventura.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: RE: SF Bay Reply with quote

If yall havent noticed yet, Cosmic replies the same to 90% of the threads it posts to. Generally 100% opposed to the normal line of convention...is basically a troll. There is some discussion over across the pond on the Boards forum as to its identity, and has been proposed to be a number of aliases posting in numerous groups. Posts are all whacky...almost like a LeeD on a 72hr crank binge (dont know what thatd be like but wouldnt want to see it personally). Sorry Lee, had to use you for example cause youre an internet legend of sorts spanning years.

Any way, check this thread :http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9908&PN=4&TPN=7

scroll down to Oneup for its aliases

and this one
: http://www.boards.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9981&PN=3

Enough of that now and back to our brown water. I have never bee sick from it, an dnoone I have met has either. You can puss out because its too cold or its brown but, and thats fine by me but dont nock it cause youre afraid of getting your hair wet. Actually when the wind wips up, the water (when the sun is out) takes on this beautiful turquoise hue and looks stunning. You can pretty much (like everyone else said) sail any given day of the week if you want to within 1hr drive from any city along the Bay. I may be one of few well traveled sailors around , but only cause I work on one side and live on the other. I am dedicated to sail every day if possible. Ive been to Sherman one day and Candlestick later on the same day. Berkeley next day, and Pt. Isabel...day after that. Many sailors get good number of days sailing and just sail one spot, but I like the variety and ability to explore. There is so much to offer here its rediculous. You could stage an event here and have whatever dicipline you needed within 1hr drive...wave, bump n jump /superX, Slalom, Speed events...you name it.

I sail after work if its blowin in early morn or before work in late afternoon.. Berkeley after that, and Pt. Isabel...

And I agree with Lee...stay away for gods sake. Its already too crowded here, but at least dont complain.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: