myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's the buzz in Maui this week?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

I heard some Pacific Hurricanes are affecting the trades... the iWindsurf readings dont look too bad to me.. I guess I am not as spoiled as the locals Smile I can live with a 5.5 day just fine!.

But I am pondering whether to go ahead with my plans for this next two weeks, or if maybe I should delay it a bit.. though common sense says July should be better than August for nuclear winds.

Any comments from the locals will be appreciated. Thanks!
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

Pacific hurricanes and tropical disturbances disrupt the trades on occasion every year about now thru Sept. The peak is usually about early/mid Sept. youll still get good weeks of trades and sailable thermals during the peroid, just more spotty. So, as you said, youre better off going now, before the peak,, in theory. (T.S. Dennis seems to be getting closer now though :>O). If youre a go anytime kind-o-guy maybe check the Hawaii NWS 7 day forcast and time it when the NE trades are scheduled all week.
flaherty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

I just got back from two weeks on Maui. I sailed 12 out of 14 days, and the lighter last three days I sailed a 5.0. But Im a lighweight, so 5.4 to 5.8 for most others when Im on a 5.0
Id go for it. The hurricanes will track north of the islands, like Bud did and will affect the trades. And the norm is for it to blow every day. I would go back in a heartbeat tomorrow, if I could.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

Not to be too vulgar, but what did the two weeks cost you? I assume you flew first class from Boston with a lay over.
flaherty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

Coach $750 round trip AA, got the ticket in Feb. Brought own gear $160 RT, but bribed porter and cost $40 in Boston. Housing , Camp One, leave gear rigged,
Food,car, split with girl friend, $2500 each.
Windsurfing at camp one,
head high waves, 4.0 sail, Priceless!
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

Not to state that it isnt worth it, but thats expensive. I once spent 6 weeks in Europe (France, Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland) for that. Of course today, it would cost more. I wonder how it compares to other WS resorts. Did you have a layover?
flaherty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

Had a layover in Dallas. You can go much cheaper. Stay in keihi or Up country, or even the youth hostel for $15 a night. Eat at Paia fish house, or Alexanders for a great $10 fish meal.
Rent a car at word of mouth and bring your own gear.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

Expensive? You bet. WSing in Maui on vacation cost me a buck a minute. It would have cost much more if that trip had been in the past 15 years, if it had been less than a month, if I didnt live near the west U. S. coast, if I hadnt cooked most of my own meals, or if I hadnt encountered one of Mauis windiest summers in decades.

Anybody who sez WSing is cheap or free - as a certain magazine recently claimed -- is nuts or lives in a truly unique place.

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

... cost me a buck a minute
Thats $1440/day.
Mike, you must be including the rent you paid Opra to stay at her 10 acre estate!!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: RE: What's the buzz in Maui this week? Reply with quote

Read my comments more closely: WINDSURFING cost me a buck a minute. Adding up the costs of air fare, lodging, car, gear, and restaurant meals and dividing by the available moinutes of good wind (3-4-5 hours a day) = dang near a buck a minute for shred time. That presumes one rents condo, car, and gear at monthly rates, catches a very summer with with very reliable wind, and sails every good minute of wind. If not, the cost can hit two bucks a minute of shred time -- or $30 if Oprahs place is available.

Just for contrast, my summer gorge trips from New Mexico cost me more like a buck an HOUR of shred time (and provided bigger swell).

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: