myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Vacation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Im looking for Maui vacation recommendations. My home base is the Bay Area and sail anywhere there except the coast (hence, not a wave sailor).

I would be brining my wife (she does not sail) and four year old, so I would want to be in a local that works for them (I dont mind driving to the site).

Having never been to Maui, I would love something similar to Kauais Kiahuna Plantation. Im not into the high-rise places. Would rather have a condo w/nice grounds and plenty for kids to do.

Any suggestions?
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

why not get a place near Paia or Haiku, and is nearby to many beaches and parks or go with you to Kanaha to hang out in the park or the beach.
there are lots of rentals over there..

http://www.maui.cc/vnorthshacc.html

kihei is pretty much overbuilt with high rise apartments. some of them are quite nice though with grounds that lead to the water.

You can sometimes sail at Kihei, but most likely will be trucking over to Kanaha or Sprecks.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Heres one suggestion. If there is any mention of Airport Noise, run, dont walk to find another place to stay. When they say Airport Noise, theyre referring to the fancy homes between Kanaha and Sprecks, where you can rig and launch from your back yard. Nice. But every 30 minutes from morning til nite (10:00) you will have to pause your conversation until the jet thats a few hundred feet overhead passes by.

Steve
Kenjo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Check out Napili Kai Beach Club next to Kapalua. Two story condos, two great beaches w/ fantastic snorkeling, incredible grounds, and very peacefull. Probaly 45 min. drive to windsurfing.
psmith2004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Hi,
We were in Maui in May of this year. We stayed up in the hills of Eastern Maui in Haiku at Francisco Goyas mothers place. She has 12 acres of very green grounds with seven units available for rental.
Pros were quietness, privacy and inexpensiveness.
Cons were 30 minute drive to Kanaha Beach Park. Very cloudy and rainy in this locale. Although when you get down to lower elevation the weather usually cleared up. (Just google Mana Aina for more info)

We rented whole vacation package lodging, equipment & car through the Maui windsurfing company and were generally quite satisfied with everything.

BTW, I also posted a Maui report on this site in June of this year describing our vacation experiences.

Peter
jwallace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Reminds me of the resort brochure for my honeymoon many years ago. The brochure said “conveniently located only 15 minutes from the airport terminal.” In reality, it just meant our hotel was at the opposite end of the runway. 747s were literally 200 yards from our place as they revved their engines for take off. Nothing like testing a marriage right out of the gates. Smile

Anyway, thanks for the warning.
jwallace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Oh this looks great... just like the Kauai place I frequent (Kiahuna Plantation).

Btw, what are the months to go in terms of good wind but not too hot?
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

someone needs to speak up for Kihei. There you can rent a sunny airconditioned condo with a pool, spa. Nearby are shopping, restaurants and everything to make your family happy thus making it a happy trip for fam and you. Kanaha 20 minutes away. Me, my brother and our various family members and friends go every summer as do many others we see every year there.
steve1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

Yes I agree!

Kihei is hands down the best spot for a WS based Maui trip.

15 - 20 min from the best N Shore spots but on the drier South side. Going south from Kihei gets you to the best beaches on Maui (dont believe otherwise - been there, seen them, got the coral rash)

OK the condos are a bit older but its also less of the wall to wall country club/golf course approach to resorts found on the N West. The road from the N West resorts (Napili, Kaanapali etc.,) is crammed and slooowwww.

Kihei also has Safeways and local shops with mainland pricing and great selection for self catering. A far cry from some of the rip-offs elswhere.

We went to Kihei for spring break and are going back again in one week.

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui Vacation Reply with quote

The wind is in the summer.
December is still so hot I sweat watching the 11:00 (PM!) news if Im dumb enough (never again!) to accept lodging without some serious AC.

I think my answer lies between those two lines.

The first time I went I let a friend choose the lodging; a very nice condo in Kaanapali (the west side of Maui). I had to move my mattress out onto the porch to stop sweating and get a little sleep.

My solutions to Mauis oppressive heat include:
1. DEMAND air conditoning. (Merely asking for it will just get you the canned answer, Oh, you wont need it. It cools off at night. B...F......S...!)
2. Buy a BIG fan at Costco . .. one o them floor fans on a 5-foot pedestal.
3. Take minimal clothes . . . a few tees, some shorts, and some sandals. Wear as little as they will LET you wear.
4. Insist your rental car be white. Otherwise it will never cool down before you reach your next destination.
5. Take a long, very cool shower before going to bed.
6. Accept the fact that you will be hot and sweaty most of the time youre not hiding in an air conditioned room.
7. When the condo management tells you to turn off the AC when youre not in the room, remind them youre paying for a cool room, not a room that greets you at 85 degrees and cools down to 78 by dawn because the AC is a useless little POS (are you listening, Sunset Maui?).

Lest you think I lived in San Francisco, CA or Barrow, Alaska and just aint acclimatized to heat, guess again: I grew up near the Gulf of Mexico and lived in New Mexico during all my Maui trips. The latter almost never gets as uncomfortable as an average evening on Maui.

They say Mauis upcountry gets very cool at night. Uh . . . the first upcountry B&B website I Googled up boasted of lows of 78 (near dawn, of course). If you can sleep on a rainy 80-degree night without AC, never mind.

Soapbox? OBSESSED? You bet. Its heat and humidity are important reasons I dont live there or even visit very often, and I get weary of rental agencies telling me how cool the nights are. Forewarned is forearmed.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: