myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lewes DE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Lewes DE Reply with quote

I am heading to Lewes beach end of aug. for a family reunion. Any good widsurfing spots near there? Coming from the windsurfing capital of the world, colorado (sarcasim), and being a newbie any advice would be grand!
psmith2004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: RE: Lewes DE Reply with quote

Hi!

Check out Dewey Beach, Delaware, just south of Lewes.
Theres a windsurfing shop in Dewey called East of Maui.
Just south of Dewey youll find a couple of beaches on your right Old Sailing Rd and Tower Rd.
I havent been there for a couple of years but they used to charge $5 for parking. This also quailfied you to use the Beach facilities on the ocean side at Tower Beach where you could get a shower.
Launch conditions are a nice sandy bottom with thigh deep water in most areas.

Enjoy!

Peter
s1111

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: RE: Lewes DE Reply with quote

Hi, Im interested in what you learn while youre there. Please post your experiances when you return....
rbryson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Lewes DE Reply with quote

I agree that you should check out Dewey, especially if the wind is out of the south or west. If the wind is out of the north or northeast, stay in Lewes! I sail NJ and Delaware and love to catch a Lewes day in the summer though its not all that commom to get a north / northeast. Lewes is at the mouth of the Delaware Bay. You get some gentle rolling swells and moderate shore break unless its really churned up on a big noreaster. There are a number of public parking areas on the beach. I prefer heading south a bit toward the Lewes Ferry to get away from the heaviest beach crowds.
For ocean, follow the directions from the prior post to tower road, or Keybox road ( I think its a couple of rights past Tower - I go on autopilot. )
Chrisg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Lewes DE Reply with quote

My grandparents have a house right on the bay, west of the swimming
beach. Is there any other rental shops in the area? At $100 for 8 hours, makes me wonder if I should just ship my rig out there......or maybe buy a used rig and leave it there. Any suggestions? I will check out tower rd and near the ferry area while Im there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: