myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Over-finned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Over-finned. Reply with quote

Yesterday, I was sailing with a fin that could have been too big for the sail. In fact, it wasnt the recommended size which was the stock fin. Since the conditions were rather wild, I really cant say what was right, though. However, I had trouble getting back into the straps. Getting up on a plane, when I went for the front strap and missed, I would lose control. Would the larger fin make putting my weight on the tail more unstable? Considering the unusual conditions and the fact that Ill be using the correct fin going forward, this question would be a bit theoretical. Nevertheless, it seems an interesting question.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Over-finned. Reply with quote

No doubt. Its a new board. Im having some trouble adjusting to the fatboy style. Not only that, I never did master the old style. Nevertheless, Im not clinging to the old board like a crutch.
farabi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Over-finned. Reply with quote

you mentioned putting your weight on the tail which is something you should not be normally doing. try pulling the mast down through the harness and staying over the front strap.
Sailmunster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: RE: Over-finned. Reply with quote

Looks like you might have had to big of a fin. Go smaller as the conditions get wilder. I range from a 28 cm to a 39 cm fin depending on the conditions. Too big a fin is the same thing as too big a sail.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: RE: Over-finned. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Ill keep your hints in mind. Actually, as I remember it, I was missing my attempt to put my foot in the front strap on a plane, prabably because of the different geometry of this new board. At that point I was getting tossed. This came as quite a shock to me as I was usually rather good at getting into the straps with my older board.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: RE: Over-finned. Reply with quote

Without knowing your board size, sail size, fin size, weight and wind speed as Lee said it is a tough call. What you are describing sounds more like you have too much volume than too much fin.

It doesnt sound like you are rounding up because you dont have enough weight hanging on the boom, it sounds like the board is going on to a plane way faster than you can handle, which is an indication of too much volume. Launching onto a plane at warp speed and bouncing all over the place are good indicators of too much volume. If it is a case of just bouncing all over the place after a controlled entry to a plane, then you are not sheeting in enough thus allowing the nose to rise and loose controll and that could be caused by too much fin.

So again, need more info.

Coachg

Coachg
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: RE: Over-finned. Reply with quote

Yknow, I used to be rather sceptical when I heard the local shop owners state that Fins are Important when trying to sell me one. However, the more I sail, the more I am becoming a believer. Yesterday, I was out blasting with a blade and had trouble cutting my gybes. I know a freeride would have been easier. However, the long reaches were worth the compromise.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Over-finned. Reply with quote

You really gotta define lose control a bit better, but until then realize that control is enhanced by steering ability, which is enhanced by (almost requires) weight on the centerline instead of out on the rails while getting up to a plane, especially on smaller and/or narrower boards. Ive never sailed one of them Formuly things, and havent sailed a board with double rear straps since the mid-90s, but for me control is far superior when I go into my back strap first, with no weight on it until Im planing, then ease my weight onto it as my speed increases and makes the back strap a solid weight-bearing platform, at which time I weight the tail and stick the front foot in its strap and accelerate like mad. This sequence keeps my weight on the centerline for neutral steering, provides superior control in rough water, keeps my weight forward to promote early planing, provides catapult proofing and front arch protection, and prevents the round-up many people get when they go in front strap first and weight that foot/rail while fishing for the rear strap. And presuming Im powered right, this whole sequence takes no time and everything else -- getting into the second strap and hooking into the harness -- is just icing on the cake, because Im planing and in full control by the time Im upright.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: