myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New vs Old boards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

I have been sailing on a 1996 Bic Veloce (102 ltr) for ten years. Only recently have I started to land jibes (namely because I have only sailed 3-5 times in each of the last four years due to life challenges that I wont go into).

While I have typically come from the school of thought its the sailor and not the equipment, I would be curious to get feedback on new boards that are around 100 ltrs.

I am 185 lbs; in the straps, harness and love to go fast. I sail pretty much anywhere in the Bay Area except for the coast. Just getting into jumping (land less than 10%) and jibing (land less than 10%). Would love to know if newer equipment will get me to the next level (i.e., more completed jibes).

Thx!
Windlover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

Some of the newer gear can make jibing easier because so many are more freeride style boards. You are on a slalom style board that is a bit harder to learn on. Im sailing a 1992 Screamer that is still one of the fastest boards Ive been on.

It is my experience (20+yrs) that learning to jibe is more about the sailor than the board. Once you develop the proper technique, you can jibe just about any board you climb onto.

Best advice for completing jibes, BEND YOUR KNEES. When you think you are bending them enough, BEND THEM MORE. This keeps the board from bouncing out, keeps the edge carving, and keeps you balanced.

Set up is important also.
Bear off
Unhook
Back foot out
Move front hand forward
Sheet in
BEND YOUR KNEES
Carve the turn
Flip the sail
Switch the feet
Sheet in and go

Best if luck with your jibes. Keep trying.
Windlover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

Some of the newer gear can make jibing easier because so many are more freeride style boards. You are on a slalom style board that is a bit harder to learn on. Im sailing a 1992 Screamer that is still one of the fastest boards Ive been on.

It is my experience (20+yrs) that learning to jibe is more about the sailor than the board. Once you develop the proper technique, you can jibe just about any board you climb onto.

Best advice for completing jibes, BEND YOUR KNEES. When you think you are bending them enough, BEND THEM MORE. This keeps the board from bouncing out, keeps the edge carving, and keeps you balanced.

Set up is important also.
Bear off
Unhook
Back foot out
Move front hand forward
Sheet in
BEND YOUR KNEES
Carve the turn
Flip the sail
Switch the feet
Sheet in and go

Best if luck with your jibes. Keep trying.
farabi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

yes it will but not all of new equipment. look for better volume distribution. i notice that my friend who usually does not make jibes on his own gear didnt fall in that much on my jp freestyle but you have to try it for yourself
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

1. Whatever board you use, use a board (and fin) made to turn (i.e., with more curves than straight lines in their shapes) . Then once youre planing all the way through most jibes, translate those skills to racier boards (if you still want to, after learning what turny boards can do).

2. Check out the jibe tips at http://www.gorgeonline.com/windsurfing/spring.blog.htm .

Mike \m/
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

Loosing about 30lbs will definatly help your jibes too, and its alot cheeper!
185lb is above average in this sport and us heavier weight persons have to be more carefull where we put the weight. Theres less room for error on small sinky boards, so your technique needs to be better than the light weight.
That said, LeeD is right,
the new boards are only marginally better than the Veloce, which was a good board (I had one). So if you cant jibe on that, then you probably wont jibe on a new board either. The new boards are generally wider so they will be somewhat more stable in the jibes (same as loosing a few pounds!). May want to try some new boards first. I noticed they are also more more bouncy in SFbay chop than the Veloce was.
jwallace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

Interesting... 3-4 years ago I demoed a similar sized RRD (forgot the model). And I *did* noticed that it was much bouncier than the Veloce. And, it didnt seem nearly as fast (though it felt heavier).

Thx for the info (as well as the other posters, too). TOW is still the name of the game.

I guess what I was hoping for is the windsurfing equivalent of the parabolic ski to come out. When those new skis came out it was such a great experience since I dont hit the slopes as much as I use to; and it would take 2-3 days of skiing to get back to old form on staight skis. With parabolics, 1-2 runs and Im back to form.
arborrider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

At home Im riding some old gear (TigaNewWave 259). On vacation it has been JP or Starboards latest. Based on todays 4.7M on the Tiga vs the multiple 4.7-5.7M days just spent on a JP FreestyleWave 85. The Tiga seems to be similar except when your jibs become marginal and jumping. The JP with its width & volume distribution is more forgiving. More control in the air. Bottom- line is that you still have to develop decent technique. A windsurf friend(thanks Kari) on Maui gave me 2 tips that significantly improved my jibs:1. look where you want to be going, like where you plan to finish your jib; 2. Drive those knees into the turn (sets a nice rail, prevents you from standing up mid jib losing rail bite, depowering the rig). Noticed people with well bent knees, but not angulated into the carve. More like sitting down as they bounce through the jib attempt. Checkout Dashers 12 step jib dvd and Cadiz;s jib dvd for some great visual aids.
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

jibing was easier on my mistral radar (103 ltr), but it slaps on the chop. I bought a used Naish Enduro (95 ltr) and love it but had to re-learn to jibe. Mentally I knew I could do it, so that helped, but I had to constantly remember bend knees, look forward, throw that sail. Its harder to jibe but I dont think Ill go back to the wide/short boards. The slimmer, smaller profile is just right for sailing third ave, treasure island and delta, but its also great at berkeley and pt.isabel. It may seem obvious, but the more jibes you attempt, the faster you will become accomplished at them.
downwind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: RE: New vs Old boards Reply with quote

I went through your problem a few months back when I blew out my fin box on my old F2 280 world cup. I learned to sail on two of these 104 liter boards both of them were early to mid 90s pre no nose designs. After much research and hand wringing I decided on a hifly free 110. Having spent most of the last decade sailing the same slalom board it was quite a change. Im still getting used the new design that I would describe as nervous compared to the comfortable speed of my 280s. I do know the tacking the board is very fast and goes right to a sheeted in position.(I also know most sailors wouldnt care about this.) Its to early for me to say if the change is has radical and worth while as the change in downhill and telemark ski shapes. Right now I still miss the comfort of my 280 mostly when the wind is up and down and marginal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: