myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
i'm 220 lbs, what size gear do i need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiverOtter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: i'm 220 lbs, what size gear do i need? Reply with quote

im going to be sailing on Tempe Town Lake (flat water), im 220 lbs, i have a very strong sailing background, and im looking to buy used windsurfing gear to use in the afternoons around this area. what size board, sails, mast, etc do you think i need. ive done a little windsurfing years ago, and im a quick learner. im more interested in going fast that doing tricks, so thats something else to keep in mind. thanks for your time and input. judd
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: RE: i'm 220 lbs, what size gear do i need? Reply with quote

What are the wind speeds will you be sailing in? That makes a big difference in the equipment you will be using.

If it is light wind (under 20 mph) than you will probably want a bigger board than 150 liters at your weight. When you add a mast, mastbase, sail and boom to your weight, a 150 liter board will ride pretty low. I weigh 165 and have two boards for light wind. 160 liters and 145 liters. Closer to 20 mph I use 145 liter board, closer to 10 mph and I use the 160 liter board. More volume means more float. Bad for higher winds but great for lighter as the board sits higher on the water and needs less power to plane.

As for sail sizes in light winds you have a problem. The size you would need, around 10 meters, is not the size you can learn on. Can you rent until you are ready? That first sail, 6-7 meters wont do you any good until the winds are over 20 mph at your weight. And Im assuming you can still sail, otherwise that firs sail will be closer to 5 meters to learn on.

Coachg
RiverOtter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: RE: i'm 220 lbs, what size gear do i need? Reply with quote

it will be in the 10-20 mph range, with some gusts higher.

thanks for your advice. ill take it into account when im looking at gear.

judd
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: RE: i'm 220 lbs, what size gear do i need? Reply with quote

I weigh 225lbs and ride a Bic Techno classic (152L) in winds from 12-18 mph with sails 7.1-5.9. If the windspeed averages 18mph or better then Ill use a 92 111L board in salt water. In fresh water I will always use the Bic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: