myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

Yup. Theyre flushing the river at the expense of WSing and incredible amounts of money (wasted power) to placate the law suits and save a handful of salmon.

Mike \m/
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

If you need a PFD, stay in a lake!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

robbynaish wrote:

Uh, robby, Rowena IS a lake.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
You forgot to say "Here's your sign."

Laughing
Coachg
WaveSlayer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Almost Drowned in Gorge (Rowena) Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
robbynaish wrote:

Uh, robby, Rowena IS a lake.

Yo, Isobar,
there's two pages here of PFD debate in the Gorge.
My two cents... if you're not a good swimmer, stay out of the river!
People are dying (or getting close to it) every year... at the damn Marina!!
untwed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<-- Did I learn my lesson??

no

I have 3 PFD's that I have bought since my post last year. I HATE them all. So I still go out without a PFD. Its just too constricting. I personally don't like having all that stuff. But perhaps it wouldn't hurt to go out with it the first time this season. I am in better shape this year. kited 2 weeks in hatteras and padre, and 1 wk windsurfing in baja. Not in as good of a shape as i'd like tho.

-Ken
untwed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I maybe i did learn something. Going to go with friend/s and keep an eye out for each other, especially at the start of this season.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="untwed"]<<-- Did I learn my lesson??

no

I have 3 PFD's that I have bought since my post last year. I HATE them all. So I still go out without a PFD. Its just too constricting. I personally don't like having all that stuff. But perhaps it wouldn't hurt to go out with it the first time this season. I am in better shape this year. kited 2 weeks in hatteras and padre, and 1 wk windsurfing in baja. Not in as good of a shape as i'd like tho./quote]

PFDs and flotation vests are worlds apart. The latter is not the least bit constricting, helps swimming, helps water starting (and breathing, as I sink when not wearing one . . . and the better my physical condition, the faster I sink), and provides rib armor.

\m/
trburl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: PFD Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

Look into the Da Kine Impact Harness/Vest. I think you will find it to be the best solution for your problem. If The Big Boys can use it to sail Peahi in 20 foot Hawaiian, it'll get you where you need to go. I agree with the posters on here that feel a true PFD is a hinderence to sailing and should not be used if possible. Its still a dangerous sport, even with protection.

We should all accept the risk or not sail. It would be nice to play without consequences..... or would it?

Tom
wsmike

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that PFD's or rather a float vest (non-coast guard approved) are a great idea. For anyone who experiences any anxiety by standing on the shore and looking out at 10 ft rollers in 35+. To go out in that kind of conditions without any safety is asking for trouble, and trouble finds you faster than you may realize. Spring sailing here May 5th in the gorge and the water is now a balmy 53 degrees. Hypothermia sets in very fast if not properly suited for a long swim. In my 5/3 I stay pretty warm but wouldn't want to spend all day in the water, a PFD helps keep my head above water and increases my coolness of mind in harrowing conditions.

Until my confidence or stupidity level reaches 100% I will tend to wear a PFD. I've seen a body wash up on the Oregon coast of a sailor who died at sea, saw the toes sticking up from the body bag on the beach. Its not a pretty sight and makes you think that maybe a PFD and helmet are not so bad after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: