myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge Rentals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

Im going to the Gorge this summer for the first time. I know there are a lot of shops that rent equipment, but was looking for some insider info on the best places to rent from. What type of board and quiver should I go with for a week?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

1. What are your skill levels and sailing style?
2. Your size?
3. The shops can tell you what gear youll need each day.
4. The wind -- and thus the optimal gear -- varies dramatically from morning to evening, day to day, and launch to launch. Depend heavily on the rental shop as your guide to gear, timing, and launch.
5. A week is a gamble, as a week with no wind is more common than a week with good wind every day.
6. If your primary goal is being on the river every day, youll probably need everything from a 3.7 to a 8.0 to a jet ski. Rent accordingly, as per your shops advice.
7. Even if you get skunked, you will have a ball as long as you remain flexible and open to the OTHER dozens of things to do here.
8. Dont forget to set up iWindsurf on your cell phone. Gorge sailing usually requires real time data because the wind varies so much from one site to another.
9. Youre flying in. I presume. Renting a van sure makes the gear schlepping simple.
10. Welcome to our slice of paradise.

Mike \m/
dougal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

1. IntermediateAdvanced (hit 75% of jibes in high wind, can get air but no acrobatics, mostly bump and jump). Looking to get to the next level
2. 6, 180lbs

Thanks for the thoughts. I am totally flexible but will be bummed if I dont get at least 3 sessions during the week. Looking forward to checking it out!
tsokat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

Isobars gave you a really good reply to your question. I just wanted to add that Big Winds has always treated me very well as far as shops are concerned.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

Comes down to your preference in brands, as most local shops have exclusives:

Gorge Surf Shop: Fanatic and Bic boards, Gaastra and Loft sails

Big Winds: Naish, JP, F2,and Mistral boards, Naish, North, Pryde, Sailworks sails

Windance: RRD, Quatro, and Angulo boards, Ezzy sails
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

Id go with BigWinds - they have the nice JP boards and Pryde/Sailworks sails.

In July it is rare to have a week without at least a few sailable days (though it can happen).

In August it gets hotter and there is the occasional dry spell with no wind for a whole week (still uncommon).

You do have to do some driving to find the best wind - so having iWindsurf on your cell phone is a big help.
hilton08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

If you come in July, you can expect 5-6 sailable days in a normal week, especially if you are willing to drive to the OR coast if the Gorge doesnt blow. At 180 lbs, a 75-85 liter board with 3.7 - 5.2 sails should cover it at the advanced sites. Bigger gear is better for the Event Site, and take a 90 liter and 5.5-5.8 for the North coast.
The rental guys can help you with exact sail sizes based on the forecast and the wind readings from iwindsurf.
JRuffus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

we have gone july 15-25 for the past three years and salied almost every day in the gorge or on the coast.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

Big Winds carries a small book with stuff to do on non-windy days. Lots of great hikes and some really cool swimming holes. I would definitely take advantage of non-windy days.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Gorge Rentals Reply with quote

And dont forget Clatskenie, which can blow hard for many days on end when the coast AND the Gorge are dead.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: