myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
good place for vacation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: good place for vacation Reply with quote

Hey, my boyfriend and I are looking for a good place to take a wind vacation. Im definitely a beginner when it comes to windsurfing and hes more of an intermediate to advanced level.
Were hoping to find an all inclusive 1 or 2 week holiday (at least with gear, food and lessons would be a bonus) on or very close to the beach. Id be interested in a place that has lessons so I can get good fast, while hed probably prefer to do his own thing. He’s going to want big wind and I’m going to need something a little more calm. Can you think of a place that would be good for both of us?
Were both interested in taking some kiteboarding lessons, so somewhere that offers that would also be a bonus.
Also we’re willing to spend a reasonable amount of money, but we don’t want to break the bank.

Thanks!
arborrider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

Vela @ El Yaque, Isla de Margarita. Not exactly all inclusive (meals not covered). Great gear, light early morning winds to learn, super instructors, convience (no rigging, no car needed, walking gets you everywhere in El Yaque) Dare2Fly kite program.
Tom & Kathy run a friendly 1st class operation. I am not associated with Vela, just a very satisfied client. Leaving for my 4th trip to El Yaque(over the past decade) in couple days.
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

Just another opinion.....Id stay away from Margarita if youre truly a beginner and intermediate. Though it is billed for beginners and shallow, the reality is that its pretty choppy and the chop gets significant throughout the day. Also, it is shallow for a hundred yards or so but then youre over your head. My girflriend and I were similar to your situation. She was beginning and I was approaching intermediate. She got blown off the water and frustrated by the chop and I broke the noses on 7 boards in a week as I tried to master the harness and footstraps. In a word, Margarita can be very intense. Having now been to Bonaire, there is absolutely no question that it was built for windsurfing and making windsurfers better. Truly shallow water, minimal chop and wind as reliable as Margarita makes it a hands down better option for improving and learning to windsurf. Not to take anything away from Margarita, Ive been there 3 times and its a killer destination and very relatively cheap but its not beginner friendly as compared to Bonaire and is more appropriate for intermediate to advanced sailors. I say this after several trips to Margarita and only going to Bonaire having become and advanced intermediate. How I wish I had discovered Bonaire first as a beginner. You may have noticed Id recommend Bonaire.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

Where you go depends a lot on what time of year youre talkin about. If its summer you are thinking about - then consider coming out to the Gorge. Very reliable summer winds and lots of other things to do besides windsurfing. Lots of beginner spots even though it has a reputation as a high wind place.
arborrider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

I agree with dennisrodger up to a point. During peak wind season (Feb into May) the afternoon winds can be overwhelming to a beginner. The wind is side-onshore resulting in chop. But even during highwind season most mornings are relatively mellow. Have yet to visit Bonaire. But my impressions are it may provide the best conditions for learning. Another option is Maui. Some windsurf friends had spouses who were non-windsurfer at the beginning of a couple week stay. By trips end they were in the straps & hooked in attempting jibs. If HST is still in business check them out for lessons. Staying on the northshore(sort of Sprecks area) allowed them to walk down to Kanaha and take lessons while we had fun on the break @Sprecks. Jet noise was the only negative.
danavision17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

Id have to agree with summer in the Gorge. Last summer my wife, brother in law, his girlfriend, his two kids, and my 7 year old son all took lessons in the hook, while I sailed on the outside. My wife had taken lessons in Maui and California before and wasnt getting it, but one day in the Gorge and she was ripping back and forth having a great time. All the beginner gear is right at the waters edge and if you get blown down wind, you get walk back. I would go out after everyone was doing fine and sail until the late evening. They all are planning to come back this summer.
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

I agree, El Yaque works for beginners as well as advanced sailors. Plus, it is probably one of the best places to take up kiteboarding.
glennss

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

I like what you said about the Gorge in the summer. Im an intermediate, my son is an advanced beginner, and his buddy is a beginner. Can you name a couple of windsurfing spots and suggest some good places to stay that are close to them? Not interested in camping...more like a cabin, hotel/motel...
Thanks
glennss

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

What you describe sounds like it would work well for me, my son, and his buddy. Could you give me some more specifics about where you sailed and possibly suggest some lodging (not camping) nearby...

Thanks...
bowen1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: RE: good place for vacation Reply with quote

Agree 100% on all your points, having been to both places. Plus there is kiteboarding for beginners at Atlantis Beach on Bonaire. It is also the most laid back and friendly place you will find in the Carribean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: