myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help in Identifying a Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

The make/model is whats printed on the board;
Sailboard Masterclass 365A. The 365 should be the length (in cm) which would make this a longboard suitable for beginners and light winds. The long narrow boards are pretty obsolete compared to newer designs, but they still work. The slot in the center of the board is for a centerboard/daggerboard. Im afraid the company went out of business before anyone knew what a website was so you arent likely to find much info on the board online. Maybe check with a veteran employee from Sailboard Warehouse in MN, I think they used to sell the brand. It isnt worth much, but people have been know to pay too much for old boards on ebay if they are in like new condition.
steve1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

Wow I remember these.

Sailboard was one of the first European WS manufacturers. Goran Nieman imported them into the UK with some success.

What you have is what it says, Sailboard Master Class 365 (i.e. 3,65m or ~12ft old style long board). It probably dates from 1979-82.

In its day it was a reasonably competitive Division 1 (i.e. flat) long board. I raced against these on my trusty Sea Panthers and Sainval around 79 and 81.

The slot in the deck is where the dagger-board (or centerboard) goes, without which it is useless.

These days it could be OK as a beginner board, cruising around in light winds or even old-style tricks. Remember the “back-to-the-sail rail-ride” anybody

However, there is way better modern stuff for getting started.

Sadly its value is probably the cost of taking it to a landfill.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

We have a couple of those at my school along with Bic Wings and an odd assortment of about 30 other old long boards. We have taken the fins out of most of them, as well as the centerboards, and let the kids play on them during summer camp. They are not very good boards to teach on-dont turn very well and they dont work with small kids rigs.

Coachg
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

Try to get an adult to transport one of those big, heavy slabs. If you cant leave it on the beach like we can at a school, why would you want one?

Coachg
Windlover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

As some have mentioned, it was a decent board in its day. Without the daggerboard though, it will be useless for learning to sail on. Dont throw it out though, it would make a conversational bench, a tobogan in the winter, a play float at the lake for the kids, etc. If you did happen to come across a daggerboard, you could actually use it for light wind days.

I remember those boards and actually sailed a few. They were from the days of Windsurfer, Bic Dufor Wing, Mistral Comp Club (precursor to the Light and Superlight), Whayler, etc. Ahhh, the good old days of waiting for a puff of wind so we could jump on our boards and cruise at 2-5kts. 10-15kts were days we dreamed about. Now it has to be 20+ just to think about going. But that is the benefit of living near the Gorge. It tends to spoil a guy.
But I do have an older longboard that I take to the local lake and sail light winds now and then. I even do the back-to-the-sail trick now and then. Rail rides are much harder than they used to be because Im out of practice. Freestyle back then was way different than now.
forwards

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

Brian Hinde, the designer of this series of boards, is the owner/designer of Open Ocean boards, shop in Lyle WA/Gorge, website www.openocean.com. He is a wealth of information on boards, and has a new masterclass 295 hanging in his shop, which Brian said was the largest production WS board ever, selling ~35,000... amazing. I owned a MC295 long ago, good transition board.
steve1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

Yes we have definitely lost something along the way.

I remember when it was fun to sail in 5-15 mph winds (i.e. all year long).

That had the advantage of being when non-WSs were also on the beach/lake etc., so that more of the general public could see it, get excited by it and try it.

It was also more fun for non-WS members of the family/group - beaches are a lot more user friendly when the wind is less than 15MPH.

I guess this is where Kiting has the advantage (as long as they are not tearing up the beach with crash landings etc.).
carlk4sail

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Masterclass 365 Reply with quote

Beleive it or not I sailed one of these this week at a friends cottage in Canada. Broke the mast step in the process.
So if your friend cant find a centerboard and just plans to trash the board I will buy the mast step from you so my friend can continue cruising the lake on calm days.

Carl
phillydude

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up one of these boards from craigslist... will be stripping all hardware (except the daggerboard and fin) and making it available, along with the sail and mast. Please e-mail me directly at pafitness1@aol.com if you have a need or interest. Thanks!

phillydude
from philly, dude
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Help in Identifying a Board Reply with quote

forwards wrote:
Brian Hinde, the designer of this series of boards, is the owner/designer of Open Ocean boards, shop in Lyle WA/Gorge, website www.openocean.com. He is a wealth of information on boards, and has a new masterclass 295 hanging in his shop, which Brian said was the largest production WS board ever, selling ~35,000... amazing. I owned a MC295 long ago, good transition board.

Brians boards have come a long way and are better than ever. After sailing one of his enduro 80ltr boards for 2 seasons and his 95ltr epoxy boards for 1 season I can't help but be a fan. So much control but at the same time so lively. It's definitely gotten me re-stoked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: