myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Been to Jeri?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uchida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

Ive been thinking about a trip to Jericoacoara, Brazil this October. I keep hearing that its the best place to learn to wave sail. Ive usually gone to Maui in Aug/Sept but this year opted for a new adventure. Ive checked out the air fare and while it isnt much more than going to Maui, it appears to be a long and arduous trip.

Tommy U
wsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

Its a long trip but worth the travel adventure. I didnt wave sail much before Jeri but had the time of my life there. Have fun!!!
hildebra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

Its a very easy, safe, side-off, small wave -- so good for learning. Vela is there now so great equipment rentals. Problem is it is a very small break and very popular with Europeans so crowds can be overwhelming, which isnt so good for beginners, or anyone for that matter. Go later in the fall for bigger swell (never more than 1.5M). Wind is very consistent. VERY hot (temps). LONG trip so you have to budget more time out of your vacay just to travel. Do a forum search as there are numerous postings that will answer most of your questions.
StevieG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

Depending on where in the states your travelling from its a long trip or a longer one. If you hit it right though its worth it. Crowds start really mid Sept but there is now an alternative location in Preá 12 km away so maybe some folks will go sail there. Wind is super constant (summer 2002 I had 85 days from 110 5.2/85l-190lbs).Wave is small and slow and no real reef. You need to watch the rocks on the point and stay well away from the flag. Either bring your own gear or book now. there are 2 main centres (club dos ventos-Vela and Tico Wind, both have web sites.
Have fun
allen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

What about places to stay? Is the Blue Mosquito decent? How much will you have to pay for a reasonable place? Thanks.
hildebra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

That place is new -- looks perfect, right on the point. One thing about Jeri is that the town parties dusk to dawn, so if youre a sailor and want some zzzs it can get loud most places so good luck resting. That hotel is situated away from the noisy spots I believe so in my mind a plus. I would think you will be paying 40-80 euro/night depending on the demand. Ultimately, it took me 2 weeks to synch into jerilife, at which point I was sailing a couple hours in the afternoon, sleeping before going out, up all night, sleeping til noon, lather rinse repeat. By then youll have a dutch or whatever girlfriend and wont want to leave since guess what, youve found nirvana.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

A bud went to Jeri about three years ago. Hed been looking for his own well-defined nirvana for decades on several continents: right point break (or is it left?); tropical temps, DIRT cheap cost of living, endless wind, other sports alternatives, barefoot lifestyle, and beautiful wimmen.

On his first trip there he found that Jeri offered every piece of his dream pie, and bought a plot of land in there. In some prompt sequence or another he then: returned to Hood River, sold his house and contents and business and cars, built a nice new home in Jeri for $10,000, married a beautiful Brazilian, had a baby, sold that house, and bought a hotel a few miles down and ON the beach.

I guess some people REALLY like Jeri.

Mike \m/
artnvicky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

I too really want to check out Jeri, but some of my companions only want to sail on flat water. Is there also flat water sailing at Jeri, at a nearby lake? Flat like Bonaire?
Also, what months arent so crowded there? Is October the best month for 20-25 mph constant winds and good waves? Thanks.
chriscoul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

I hate to break it to everyone, Jeri is horrible. I have been down there for the past two years and I am going back this year for a month and a half it was so bad. great wind, easy waves, cheap living, etc. etc. the only good thing are all the europeans.
hildebra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: RE: Been to Jeri? Reply with quote

There is flat water in Jeri: if you want FLAT flat, then there is a fresh water lake nestled in the dunes that the rental places will take you to - a half hour away or so. Incredibly cool and picturesque, generally a meter larger sails (uh oh, here comes the 6.0). Then there is the flat water inside the bay. Its a right point break so if you go inside the bay the water is very mellow, but that has a wind shadow. Then there is flat, i.e. no breaking waves, outside the break with stronger wind and ocean swell conditions. That being said, the waves are generally very small (2-4 feet) so that is flat in a lot of peoples book.

I think you will find increasing crowds as the fall wears on -- less wind in Europe so the more they flock there. October is a great month for wind/waves. Actually, Jeri pretty much blows non-stop 4.5 from July thru December, just that the swell gets better the later in the year you go. Also, if you go in late Nov./Dec., you will start competing with increasing crowds of Brazilians as well for space (yes, they sail too and they love this place) as that is the beginning of their summer vacation. And of course, with the increasing popularity of kiting . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: